Use updated ircddbgateway for D-Star XLX support

Suggest new features here
K2IE

Re: Use updated ircddbgateway for D-Star XLX support

Post by K2IE »

Making the suggested changes causes the ircddbgateway expert menu to go blank after applying. But if you then manually edit the /etc/ircddbgateway config file and add double quotes around the URL, the expert menu works again. So there is a parsing issue that @Andy would need to look at.

The XLX linking does now work and I was able to pass 2 way audio.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

So the current implementation of XLX in ircDDBGateway is flawed.

Code: Select all

xlxEnabled=0
xlxOverrideLocal=0
xlxHostsFileUrl=
The above works correctly in Pi-Star v4.x.x
XLX will *NOT* work in v3.x.x due to the need for a new binary, and that requires a HEAP of libraries, so its not going to happen.

The Pi-Star implementation of XLX will actually properly support XLXs using the correct protocol (with the above config) rather than the bonkers assumptions that are made in the current code. Right now it's 96% ish working, I need to wait for the developer to clean up the XLX code, or write some further changes.

I've said this before, XLX is NOT NOT NOT a D-Star protocol, its the name of a server suite, the protocols are D-Plus (REF), D-Extra (XRF) and DCS (DCS), the current code just blanket assumes that ALL XLX are available using a single protocol, and thats not the case. We already include the XLX hosts in the current host files based on what protocol they can support, so all the code relating to pulling the XLX host file is irrelevent.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Andy:

I must disagree with you on one point. All xlxd all speak DPlus, DExtra, and DCS. With DCS being the most "modern" of the three, that works for all xlxd. Show me an XLX reflector that is not accepting DCS connections and it is not a real XLX running xlxd.

If you can cite an example of an XLX that supposedly does not honor all three protocols, please share, I'd like to look further and learn.

Thanks and 73,

Dan
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Agree completely with @ct1dvm. The way this has been implemented in ircddbgateway is the way that I would expect it to work. Link requests using XLX should be based upon the file as compiled through the autoregistration of the various XLX reflectors, not by filling in the blanks in the existing hosts files.

ct1dvm wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm
All XLX reflectors are not supported in the other host files, and that is the point of having the feature. You only add XLX entries to the other host files on number slots that are vacant, i.e, not already populated by native protocol entries. The XLX feature uses a pure XLX host file, we know the protocol used is DCS , which is best method, but it's pure XLX host file reference is its main feature.All true XLX reflectors can be connected too, and not a manual XRF substitute. The user now has a choice regarding real XLX reflector access. I fail to see what is wrong with the code.

Re; your comment saying no xlx config in /etc/ircddbgateway works in v4.x.x, as per your example, then If you have modified the code to not pull & load the latest tmp xlx dmr hostfile on startup as the usual correct config provides,then are you then using a file that has been edited different to the true xlx list? If so then that defeats the purpose for XLX linking.