RXOffset on a JumboSpot/ChinaSpot

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
K9JTV

RXOffset on a JumboSpot/ChinaSpot

Post by K9JTV »

I recently updated the firmware on my MMDVM JumboSpot from HS_Hat:v1.3.1 to 1.3.3. Prior to the update I didn't have to adjust the RXOffset from the default zero. After the update my JumboSpot wouldn't receive, so I started messing with the RXOffset setting. I settled on an RXOffset of 10199, which I think is awfully high. I get a BER of an average of 3.5 when connecting using my Yaesu FT-70DR, and a BER of less than 1 when connecting using my Yaesu FTM-100DR. I am unable to get the 70 any lower.

What kind of RXOffset numbers is everyone else using to obtain the lowest BER? Any idea why I have to use such a high number, and is there anything I can do to get this down, especially when using my FT-70DR? I have a spectrum analyzer and my transmit frequencies on both radios are approximately the same.

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff, K9JTV
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: RXOffset on a JumboSpot/ChinaSpot

Post by MW0MWZ »

I can't say I have any experience of the JumboSpot, but that amount of offset seems quite outrageous!

My gear is all either 0 or between -200 and -400
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

My jumbo spot offset is +900 with Anytone D868UV
F6GVE

Post by F6GVE »

With my Jumbo spot (HS_Hat v1.3.3) and my Radioddity GD-77 the best BER is when RXOffset/TXOffset is set to +700. BER is stable 0.2
KG2C

Post by KG2C »

I am using JumboSpot 1.3.3 with Pi-Star 3.4.12 with -450 RXOffset.
PA2TSL

Post by PA2TSL »

Where should I put the required RX offset?? I do not see it in the configuration file:
MMDVMconfig.JPG
MMDVMconfig.JPG (56.88 KiB) Viewed 11772 times
I have the most recent version of Pi-Star, and the fw. of the Jumbospot (HS_Hat: v1.3.3).
I have tried to enter the offset in the OscOffset line, but that does not work for me (no reception any more)...
My work-around is to add the offset in the general configuration screen (just subtract the value from it's RX freq., but I assume that it should be added in the MMDVM ini file...
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

That is an old version of the config file from the looks of it - might need a factory reset to get those extra values in there.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
PA2TSL

Post by PA2TSL »

Thanks Andrew, that was the reason!
I have downloaded the most recent version of the software, and did an additional update / upgrade to be fully up-to-date with the current version.
I did not use the restore feature (which I did before), but started 'from scratch' with entering all the required information to be sure not to break the current configuration files by restoring older files.
I added the RXoffset (for my Jumbospot) in the MMDVM_config file, and it works like a charm!
73's, Tom
KN6CXC

Post by KN6CXC »

Hello,

I have a GD-77 Firmware 3.02.02 and using a jumbospot firmware 1.4.16v and I'm having a hard time trying to find the right RX offset.
I'm currently using -275 but I have to key the radio sometimes several times to get it to work.

Any suggestions on the RXOffset? The vendor sair -475 but that does not work properly either
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

KN6CXC wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 am Hello,

I have a GD-77 Firmware 3.02.02 and using a jumbospot firmware 1.4.16v and I'm having a hard time trying to find the right RX offset.
I'm currently using -275 but I have to key the radio sometimes several times to get it to work.

Any suggestions on the RXOffset? The vendor sair -475 but that does not work properly either
Each board will be different, and each handheld will be different. All you can do is tinker until you find settings that work for your setup. I've seen offsets in the 4 digit range. Start where the sticker says, and go both + and - until you get the BER down to green and as close to 0 as you can manage.
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.