Pistar on Raspberry Pi 4

General support for the Pi-Star System
N9UMJ

Pistar on Raspberry Pi 4

Post by N9UMJ »

Is Pistar supported on the Raspberry Pi 4?

n9umj
w7efs

Re: Pistar on Raspberry Pi 4

Post by w7efs »

Apparently so ... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1906 using Pi-Star v4.1 rc3 after an upgrade from rc2 which can be downloaded at https://pistar.uk/beta/Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1 ... l-2019.zip
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I'm running a ZUMspot on a RPi 4B (with a fan, because the 4B runs hot). Requires Pi-Star 4.1.x, which is a release candidate and has some issues, so you have to be prepared for some not-so-smooth sailing sometimes. (In particular, I run into issues with it not connecting to my WiFi network on startup and sometimes have to power off and off multiple times before it will at last connect, and I'm not the only one running into that issue. I could use an ethernet cable, but this is a test hotspot, so I'm just waiting for future updates/upgrades to fix the issue.)
Last edited by KE0FHS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
ea7gwc

Post by ea7gwc »

KE0FHS wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm I'm running a ZUMspot on a RPi 4B+ (with a fan, because the 4B+ runs hot). Requires Pi-Star 4.1.x, which is a release candidate and has some issues, so you have to be prepared for some not-so-smooth sailing sometimes. (In particular, I run into issues with it not connecting to my WiFi network on startup and sometimes have to power off and off multiple times before it will at last connect, and I'm not the only one running into that issue. I could use an ethernet cable, but this is a test hotspot, so I'm just waiting for future updates/upgrades to fix the issue.)
The same happens to me with PI3 A +
I have to turn on several times until it works
WIFI Especially with cold start.

Returning to 4.0.0 rc4 without problems.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

ea7gwc wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 am The same happens to me with PI3 A +
I have to turn on several times until it works
WIFI Especially with cold start.

Returning to 4.0.0 rc4 without problems.
Yep, I had the same issue on a couple RPi 3A+ hotspots running 4.1 and have returned to 4.0.0=RC4, with which I get more stable results.

EDIT: Probably worth mentioning that I'm running an RPi 4B 4GB board in my shop as my computer, which connects to the same wireless network every time I start it up with no problem whatsoever, so I don't think it's an issue with Raspbian Buster.
Last edited by KE0FHS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

I wouldn't think that the RPi 4 non-compliant USB-C issue would have anything to do with the wireless chip or its power consumption, but several people have indicated spurious problems with a power supply less than 5.2V/2.5A.

As an aside, for the past month I've been testing Pi-Star v4.1rc3 on a Pi2B DVMega D-Star/YSF/DMR with an Edimax ew-7811un USB wifi, and it connects effortlessly when moving between home, mobile and (once-weekly) restaurant wifi. I like the Edimax because the blue led gives visible wifi status.

I don't like the RPi4 because too much of its power requirement is used to generate heat.
Last edited by w7efs on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I'm using the official Raspberry Pi 3A power supply, so no issues there.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 am Do you think we should create a new thread just to report this 5 Ghz network bug so it gets the attention it deserves? Go ahead and create one if you think so and I'll add my testing procedures and results there.
I've been thinking about reporting this as an issue; however, I haven't yet figured out the pattern. The issue I experience is different from the one you're experience as I always use the 2.4 GHz option. Since I have now heard from several people that they're having WiFi-related issues, I thought again today about reporting the issue in a new thread, but when I just now fired up my ZUMspot + RPi 4B hotspot running 4.1.0-RC3, it connected on the first try (of course!). So I'm still not spotting the pattern.

All I know for sure is that I have encountered this issue on several hotspots. The other ones were using RPi 3A+ boards running 4.1.0-RC2 or 3. I've since downgraded all those other hotspots to 4.0.0-RC4, with which I have no WiFi problems, and I'm now waiting for development work on 4.1.x to start up again. Oh, and I also know that I don't have any WiFi issues with my RPi 4B that is running Buster.

So I'm still in a wait and see mode on this one.
Last edited by KE0FHS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm What speed/mode/bandwidth is your 2.4 Ghz network?
I don't know how to answer that question.
KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm What brand/model router?
I recently changed routers from an Airport Extreme (last model they sold) to a Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD. I've had the issue with Pi-Star 4.1 with both routers. In fact, I just had to start my Pi-Star 4.1 hotspot twice to get it to connect to my network.

I should add that I've never had any speed issues with the 2.4 GHz network, so when the 5.0 GHz option became available beginning with the RPi 3B+, I never changed since I didn't/don't see any need to.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 pm Ok, no biggie, would you like to learn? Cause if so I'll explain how to get it, if not no big deal.
Sure, that would be great, thanks.
KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 pm Thats a crazy looking router, I'm afraid to look at its price tag also XD
Mine is the more basic edition, but the specs look similar:
System Specifications
Max. TX Power 26 dBm
Radios 6
MIMO Chains 18
Speed 5.25 Gbps

Supported Data Rates
802.11ac 13 Mbps to 1300 Mbps (MCS0 - MCS9, VHT 20/40/80)
802.11n 6.5 Mbps to 450 Mbps (MCS0 - MCS23, HT 20/40)
802.11a 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps
802.11b 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps
802.11g 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps

Two things were important to me: 1) recommended by some folks I trust (well, Ubiquiti was recommended), and 2) it has multiple LAN ports.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS