BM -Static TG issue

Help with DMR issues
KM6HK

BM -Static TG issue

Post by KM6HK »

I understand this is really a BM issue , but I have no way to inquire with them so I thought maybe someone here knows about this issue:

My equipment is Pi-Star controlling a ZUM simplex board on a raspberry Zero.

The short of the long of the issue is that even though I have a TG enabled as Static on my Brandmeister config it is very common that the Brandmeister WILL NOT route traffic on that TG to me even when there IS active traffic on that TG.

It seems that there is some sort of failure of Brandmeister to route Static TGs. Particularly of interest is that this behavior is variable and intermittent in nature. Sometimes I get a Static TG routed through OK, sometime not at all, sometimes it only routes through after considerable traffic on that TG with many “overs” between stations that have that TG in use. It is very inconsistent in its behavior.

Is this a common issue? Do I have something misconfigured to cause this?
KE0FHS

Re: BM -Static TG issue

Post by KE0FHS »

Two questions:
1. How are you setting up your static talkgroups?
2. Which specific TGs?
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KM6HK

Post by KM6HK »

KE0FHS wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm Two questions:
1. How are you setting up your static talkgroups?
2. Which specific TGs?
Not sure what you mean by how on the setup? I just add them with the BM URL:
https://brandmeister.network/?page=hots ... id=3122222

I have tried various combination from a few (2 or 3) to all 6 of these.
3106 California
31068 NorCal
31088 Colorado Hotspot Net
31328 SNARS
97150 Baycom
310658 Turlock ARC
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Yes, that's what I meant. I see you're discussing exactly this same issue on the BrandMeister Telegram group, and that's your best place to get answers about it.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KM6HK

Post by KM6HK »

KE0FHS wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 pm Yes, that's what I meant. I see you're discussing exactly this same issue on the BrandMeister Telegram group, and that's your best place to get answers about it.
Well, not exactly, I put telegram on my desktop for a few moments out of curiosity to see what it was, and just to contact BM, but I am very suspicious of "messenger' programs written by who knows who and given away for "free".. Nonsense, nothing is "free". so after looking around at it for a few moments I deleted it and all its trailing files that it placed on my hard drive. So if they get back to me on telegram I will not see it.

I understand that telegram has gained some traction among otherwise technically knowledgable persons, but I find that surprising. Something like phpBB is a much better solution. It is a full blow CMS and I can track and discuss subjects that can be searched and referenced. Telegram, it seems to me, is just some very odd continuous scrolling list. I have better things to do with my time than try to master it, and now it has my personal phone number and God knows what else... If I thought I was getting too many robo calls before well, :lol:
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KM6HK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 pm after looking around at it for a few moments I deleted it and all its trailing files that it placed on my hard drive. So if they get back to me on telegram I will not see it.
Ah, that's too bad, because you received some answers from the hams there, some of whom I know to be quite knowledgeable and helpful people.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

I don't think simplex hotspots can have more than one static talkgroup. I've tried multiple statics on my simplex spots without success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KD8DVR wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:51 pm I don't think simplex hotspots can have more than one static talkgroup. I've tried multiple statics on my simplex spots without success.
Really?

DVMega on R-Pi 3B, Pi-Star 3.4.17

Code: Select all

Active BrandMeister Connections
BrandMeister Master 	Default Ref 	Timeout(s) 	Active Ref 	Static TGs 		Dynamic TGs
BM United States 3101	REF0		0(s)		None	   	 TG31261 TG31262	TG3100 
To make use of them, the radio needs to have them all in the same receive group list, so that one is notified of traffic on any of them and can switch channel to respond.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

I use an Anytone. No receive groups are required.

Regardless of what the display says is static, I've only received the most recent static group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KD8DVR wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:43 pm I use an Anytone. No receive groups are required.
Dennis isn't saying that a Receive Group is required, he's saying that you can use them if you want to receive multiple static talkgroups on your radio. In the AnyTone CPS, you can find this option under Digital > Receive Group Call List. From the description of that: "If you want to listen to more TGs besides the TG set up in the Channel set-up, add the TG in the Receive Group Call list, then under Channel set-up in the section below you select the list number. You can program up to 64 TGs per receive group." This is a separate step from setting them up as static in BrandMeister.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS