Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
User avatar
PE1BVU
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by PE1BVU » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Works for me out of the box:

- Burned new image
- Started with Auto-AP: OK
- Changed Wifi-Settings an config'd manually: OK
- Reboot: All OK, up and running

My setup is:

OS: Kernel 4.14.79+ (Pi-Star:4.0.0-RC2 / Dashboard: 20190109
Platform: Pi Zero W Rev 1.1 (512MB)
Radio/Modem: MMDVM_HS_HAT(DB9MAT & DF2ET) for PI(GPIO)

After that i tried:

- Burned new image
- Put wpa_supplicant.conf on SD-card
- Booted: OK, logged in to my wifi network
- Restored setup from v3.4.17
- Reboot: All OK, up and running.

I use the hotspot only for DMR, and all functions seem to work fine.
Installed Samba to access files from PC: works fine.

Thanks for this nice 4.0.0-RC2 !

73's, Adri PE1BVU

M1DNS
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 am

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by M1DNS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm

G4pzw wrote:Hi Andy. Firstly just a great big thank you for your stirling work with Pi-Star.....oh, and a very Happy New Year!
Just tried to install the Pi-Star mobile addition from amateurradio.digital. Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. Im guessing it's because of the change in OS?

Rob
G4PZW

With the new changes made in release 4.0
Quite a few of the 3rd party add-ons will prob. need their developers to make adjustments, changes to their offerings in order to follow along, given time I'm sure many will.


Andrew M1DNS, (MOD)



Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

G4pzw
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by G4pzw » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks Andy..I guessed that was the case. So far so good, no problems with v4.

Rob

VE6DV
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by VE6DV » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 pm

KE0FHS wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm
Hi Jeff, here's one thing that has worked for me in similar situations: try logging in once in Chrome using the IP address. After that, log in with the normal URL you use, for example, http://pi-star.local/. Once I've done this, the regular URL continues to work. I'm guessing this has something to do with my router or wireless network, not directly with Pi-Star.
Thanks, Toshen. That appears to have done the trick.

Jeff VE6DV
73 - Jeff VE6DV

WU0V
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by WU0V » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

When Adri, PE1BVU, mentioned that he installed Samba so he could transfer files from his Windows computer, I thought “Why not?” I was happy to discover that Samba is already installed in RC2 so all you need to do is configure it. After a few google searches I found an article about configuring Samba on Raspbian to connect with Windows 10. It was pretty easy and now I can access the files on my hotspot from File Explorer>Network in Windows 10.
A little more digging and I found an app for my iPad, File Explorer Free, and installed it. It fought me a bit to get it to connect but now I can also transfer files to or from my iPad to any Samba connection.
Either way I have to first SSH into the Pi and set the file system to Read/Write, but then the transfer works.

Experienced Linux users will say “big deal” but for me it was like winning a prize.

Lee, WU0V
59 years a ham, still having fun

F1TKE
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by F1TKE » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

test of rc2 version. ircddbgateway config have no config line "aprsPassword=" , without t2serv user passcode validation no aprs icon

User avatar
VK7HSE
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by VK7HSE » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm

WU0V wrote:When Adri, PE1BVU, mentioned that he installed Samba so he could transfer files from his Windows computer, I thought “Why not?” I was happy to discover that Samba is already installed in RC2 so all you need to do is configure it. After a few google searches I found an article about configuring Samba on Raspbian to connect with Windows 10. It was pretty easy and now I can access the files on my hotspot from File Explorer>Network in Windows 10.
A little more digging and I found an app for my iPad, File Explorer Free, and installed it. It fought me a bit to get it to connect but now I can also transfer files to or from my iPad to any Samba connection.
Either way I have to first SSH into the Pi and set the file system to Read/Write, but then the transfer works.

Experienced Linux users will say “big deal” but for me it was like winning a prize.

Lee, WU0V
59 years a ham, still having fun
It's this kind of reply makes me really happy to see that with some research and the willingness to try yields a great personal achievement! Reading this is much better than seeing the usual I have xxxx can someone please provide me with the solution because I am too lazy to even try!



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


MW0MWZ
Site Admin
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: Wales, UK
Contact:

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by MW0MWZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

F1TKE wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm
test of rc2 version. ircddbgateway config have no config line "aprsPassword=" , without t2serv user passcode validation no aprs icon
Thank you - going to look at this shortly...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

g7kbr
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by g7kbr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:50 am

Hi All

Ref the version 4 for raspberry pi, I need to set a static ip address in the config. Do I do it like I have done in the past I edited /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Regards

Paul


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1DNS
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 am

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by M1DNS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:55 am

g7kbr wrote:Hi All

Ref the version 4 for raspberry pi, I need to set a static ip address in the config. Do I do it like I have done in the past I edited /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Regards

Paul


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

Or log into ur router and allocate the pi a set IP.
Much better way of doing. if you need to move the pi at anytime onto another network, the pi itself will still be able to use dhcp.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

Post Reply