Dashboard being made private. Can I still remote in and see it or do I need to setup a VPN tunnel!

General support for the Pi-Star System
g7kbr

Dashboard being made private. Can I still remote in and see it or do I need to setup a VPN tunnel!

Post by g7kbr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:23 am

Hi all

In the process of changing my repeater over to PI-Star. All going well but I need some help with the remote access to the admin settings.

If I select in firewall settings, select dashboard as private. If I want to check on local users and status of the repeater remotely. What would be the best way forward? Do I need to install a VPN tunnel service on the PI?

The site has a static IP address and the modem/router is setup with port forwarding etc. So on port 80 I can remote in a see my current dashboard. In the two and a half years it’s never been hacked from an external source.

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb4aaa

Re: Dashboard being made private. Can I still remote in and see it or do I need to setup a VPN tunnel!

Post by kb4aaa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm

If you want the most secure way you might want to try this viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1113 you can leave everything in pistar set to private and you dont have to open or forward any ports.

g7kbr

Re: Dashboard being made private. Can I still remote in and see it or do I need to setup a VPN tunnel!

Post by g7kbr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for the link to the process.

I now have the VPN tunnel setup using zerotier. nice not to worry about the SSH and dashboard ports on the router. I just wanted to check, do I still need to manual open up the ports for like d-plus, udp, 2001, DCS, udp 30051 etc. Via the port forwarding settings in the modem/router.

Regards

Paul

kb4aaa

Post by kb4aaa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:55 am

Paul, you can forward ports if you want to or have issues. The only problem that I have personally seen not forwarding any ports is callsign in bound routing not working sometimes on Dstar. But nobody ever uses that feature anyway plus it has to be a real Ircddbgateway registered repeater for it to work in the first place. D-plus works fine without any port forwarding I believe it was designed this way.