Stuck on "Starting update, please wait..."

General support for the Pi-Star System
F4BWG

Post by F4BWG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 am

Hello All,

This is my first post, and before asking anything I want to thank everyone involved in the pi-star distribution. This is really awesome work; and thank you for giving this beautiful tool to the community :-)

Here is the problem encountered:
* Pi-Star:4.0.0-RC3 / Dashboard:20190205
* Raspi 3 B+ (Revision: a020d3)
* Duplex HotSpot on GPIO

When using the web interface, clicking on Configuration / Update, the following screen is displayed but never make any progress even after leaving it untouched for 48 hours:

The pi-star continue to operate normally, no hard crash. The log files however don't seem to give any insight of the issue.

The questions are:
* What could cause this issue, and how to troubleshoot ?
* Is the " update" option of the web interface just running "pistar-update;pistar-upgrade" behind the scenes ; and the workaround is just to run those commands through SSH ?

Thank you everyone !
Last edited by F4BWG on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KE0FHS

Re: Suck on "Starting update, please wait..."

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum.

I've had that happen once in awhile. One hint: if it's not going to finish in a few minutes, it's not going to finish. No need to wait hours. (If the update doesn't include any Raspbian OS updates, it probably takes a minute to complete; if it does include OS updates, it can take several minutes, but not longer than that). Usually, but not always, you can kill a process that's stuck with ctrl+c.

However, it's possible that it's running to completion in the background and just the display is stuck. You are on the most recent dashboard version, 20190205, so you won't see that change. Second hint: use a standalone SSH app. That's the most robust and complete method for updating Pi-Star. I use the free version of Termius on my Mac and Windows computers. Another good one is PuTTY.

Third hint: sometimes an update doesn't run correctly, for example, it might finish in read-write mode instead of the default read-only mode (there seems to be an issue in 4.0.0-RC3 that's causing this to happen more often), or it may not be able to access certain assets. Whenever something like that happens, I reboot (and sometimes even power off and back on) before running the update again. That almost always clears things up. Also, I always run an upgrade following an update; if there isn't an actual upgrade available it takes only a couple seconds to run it, and sometimes if the Pi-Star is stuck in rw mode, running the upgrade will reset it to ro mode (but not always).

Good luck.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
http://pi-star.hamnotes.com

N6WBL

Re: Suck on "Starting update, please wait..."

Post by N6WBL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 am

I had that problem too because I'm running uMatrix with my Chrome browser, and I had to enable web elements for it to work properly. You running anything with your browser that is filtering websites?

F4BWG

Post by F4BWG » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Hello Jason,

You were absolutely right. I'm so embarrassed that I didn't check this before writing this post ! As it turns out, whitelisting the IP of the pi-star from all plugins was not enough.. but starting from a clean browser with no plugins works fine with Pi-Star:4.0.0-RC3 / Dashboard:20190205.

Let's keep the message here anyways in case it can help someone else having the same non-issue !

Andy: If this can help, I'm willing to spend time researching if there is a way to detect the presence of an interfering plugin to display a warning on the page. In the meantime it might be worth adding a sentence on the update.php page along the lines "Some browser plugins may interfere with the display of information on this page".

Thanks everyone for your help on this !

N3MNT

Re: Stuck on "Starting update, please wait..."

Post by N3MNT » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:42 pm

I had a similar issue using Firefox updating from RC2 to RC3. Started fine and went through binaries but then hung up. Changed browser and completed OK. For some reason this is the first time this occurred with same browser.

N6WY

Re: Stuck on "Starting update, please wait..."

Post by N6WY » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 am

Same problem. My problem was caused by me by having JavaScript Disabled in my browser. I disable JavaScript for some websites. I forgot to enable JavaScript for pistar.