REF/XRF/DCS Listing - Source of Truth?

Help with D-Star related issues
k2dls

Re: REF/XRF/DCS Listing - Source of Truth?

Post by k2dls » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 am

I had already tried both suggestions before they were suggested as obvious paths down this rabbit hole.

I don't like the solution where I still have to edit /root hosts files. Easy enough for me, not great for some who might want to connect. There are lots of folks using Pi-Star who don't understand anything about the underlying OS (nor do they want to, unfortunately). But that is another issue.

Adding the xlxHostsFileUrl breaks the Pi-Star Expert Editor function for ircDDBGateway. Try it.
Linking to XLXNNNML does not work, it results in a not linked status.

I tried both XLX020A as well as XLX003A.

From /etc/ircddbgateway:

xlxEnabled=1
xlxOverrideLocal=1
xlxHostsFileUrl=http://xlxapi.rlx.lu/api.php?do=GetReflectorHostname

So while I like the idea around how XLX ought to work, it is not working yet. If I missed something, please point it out.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am

k2dls wrote:I had already tried both suggestions before they were suggested as obvious paths down this rabbit hole.

I don't like the solution where I still have to edit /root hosts files. Easy enough for me, not great for some who might want to connect. There are lots of folks using Pi-Star who don't understand anything about the underlying OS (nor do they want to, unfortunately). But that is another issue.

Adding the xlxHostsFileUrl breaks the Pi-Star Expert Editor function for ircDDBGateway. Try it.
Linking to XLXNNNML does not work, it results in a not linked status.

I tried both XLX020A as well as XLX003A.

From /etc/ircddbgateway:

xlxEnabled=1
xlxOverrideLocal=1
xlxHostsFileUrl=http://xlxapi.rlx.lu/api.php?do=GetReflectorHostname

So while I like the idea around how XLX ought to work, it is not working yet. If I missed something, please point it out.
Yes Dan.

Adrian's post misses the point completely. And they often do.

This is pistar.
Yes you can modify, change. disable this, change that but then it's no longer pistar it's what you have modified it to be...

A modified host file can change where and what you link to and by which protocol. But not without changing from the std host files used here in pistar.

Yes. you'll have conflicts with the nightly updates that'll want to push the default hosts back onto ur install, so you'll need to kill that. Any other changes made can and often do ' break' the service handlers and links pistar uses to do it's thing, so you'll need to live with that or mod the mods to fix what you broke.

Adrian's info is always given from his knowledge of MMDVM but not very often from the Point of Pistar. if any users wants or needs something that isn't pistar and want to follow suggestions,, best go with a vanilla install of mmdvm and make it Ur own.

Also be mindful XLX isn't a protocol.
So you should be using either DCS020AL
or XRF020AL.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Dan.

You should be seeing an entry for ur reflector in the DCS host files
Which should be different from the host IP in ur DExtra host file.
As one is connecting to ur XLX and the other to ur X reflector.

Using the radio DCS020AL should link you to XLX.
Whilst XRF020AL should link you to the XRF reflector.

If not.
Look in /root open DCS hosts.txt file and add an entry

DCS020<tab>123.457.789 whatever the XLX IP address should be
Save and exit.

Do the same for DExtra hosts.txt add and entry
XRF020<tab>123.456.789 whatever the DExtra IP address should be
Save and exit.

Run an update. Then reboot

This will temp. overwrite any entry that is currently in the main host files.

Try it and report back.

All of this is presuming were using DStar to link, and not DMR ??

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:26 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am
This is pistar.
Yes you can modify, change. disable this, change that but then it's no longer pistar it's what you have modified it to be...

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
Sometimes I think the forum could use a couple new categories: one for repeater operators and one for advanced Pi-Star modding.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

k2dls

Post by k2dls » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm

You should be seeing an entry for ur reflector in the DCS host files
Which should be different from the host IP in ur DExtra host file.
As one is connecting to ur XLX and the other to ur X reflector.
The entry in the distributed Pi-Star DCS file is not my XLX reflector and is again different from the address in the distributed
XRF file (which is not the current XRF020 anyway). The list where my XLX reflector's IP is correct is:

http://xlxapi.rlx.lu/api.php?do=GetReflectorHostname

And it is also correct in the Pi-Star distributed XLXHosts.txt

I know I can connect via DCS using a manual override in /root. I've tested this, but this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid for the
less Linux savvy folks in my circle. Anything manual is going to put me in support mode.

I also recall that the DCS folks have some restriction on XLX reflectors below 035 as they have reserved those numbers
for themselves. This didn't seem to be a problem when I went with 020 as I was not really concerned about DCS but had I not,
things might be simpler. But there was good reason to go with 020 as I collaborate with the guy responsible for DPlus REF020.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Ok but agn XLX isn't a protocol.
The protocols are DCS XRF and DPlus.
That's what you need to be using.
The REF DCS XRF part of the command is referencing which host file is used for the protocol type.
DCS is the recommend protocol for XLX connections.

What IP address is ur XLX reflector at?
And what ip address is ur XRF reflector at?

Fyi... Xlx_host.txt is the host file used for driving DMR connections.
What drives DStar reflector connections is in the DCS, DExtra and DPlus host files.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

k2dls

Post by k2dls » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:51 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:34 pm

What IP address is ur XLX reflector at?
And what ip address is ur XRF reflector at?

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
XRF020 xrf020.k2dls.net (54.91.214.11)
XLX020 xlx020.k2dls.net (3.208.40.45)

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Ur getting a little cloudy there buddy I mention on one occasion he was away from home, when someone was trying to gain his attention ... I can't recall mentioning he was sick. Just that he wasn't around currently... but that comment was made abt. 6-8 months ago. But that presumption was made a couple weeks after he was back at home. and anyways is that such a great fuck up that it merits a mention as a get back at ya?

So, as to getting things wrong.. I'd look back over ur incorrect references but, AHH yes.. that's right... each time ur shown to be wrong you return to delete ur posts One of the things in being a group mod is you get to view the log files for the actions of each user. So when someone returns to edit or remove their comments those actions are logged... And if a moderator chooses he could reverse that action, doing so in the name of clarity. No one wants to read a disconjoined thread, right?

Now, U have yourself a great day, over there.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

VK4TUX wrote:I notice you didn't mention your YSF2P25 transcoding rant on FB, where you would not admit you were wrong as usual.

F*** comments have no place here, you should clean up your grammar.

Anyhow F4FXL Geoff was the guy that added the XLX features to ircDDBgateway, based on DCS protocol.
I will have a chat to Geoff about retaining the original host files and keeping the xlx dstar hostfile import as XLX entries
for XLX link capability, without effecting the the DCS|XRF|REF functionality.
I still stand by that comment

YSF (DN) to p25 ambe to imbe would need transcoding.

But agn that was a very long time ago where transcoding was in its infancy and I don't mind being wrong. I don't always fully understand some of the projects that surround MMDVM, My posts are still there for others to read if they want, as i haven't chosen to delete them. ImageImage and if they do, they'll see it wasn't a rant but more someone in disagreement decided that the topic needed to be made into a arguement. But as said that was way back.. water under the bridge etc.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:48 am

VK4TUX wrote:
Anyhow F4FXL Geoff was the guy that added the XLX features to ircDDBgateway, based on DCS protocol.
I will have a chat to Geoff about retaining the original host files and keeping the xlx dstar hostfile import as XLX entries
for XLX link capability, without effecting the the DCS|XRF|REF functionality.

No real need as pistar already pulls info from XLX.
And distributes it the way Andy (the creator of pistar) considers applicable.
But if it gives you a sense of importance, carry on. Image but please don't do this in the name of pistar unless Andy is ok with that.

But regardless, Any changes that are made, will eventually find themselves added by him anyway.

----
But as mentioned numerous times all over the PS groups...
Advising users edit, change or mod the file system can have repurcusions elsewhere as Dan saw above. But if followed the way as intended it'll work in its native form.

The understanding we (at pistar) have is...
Hey, It's ur install to do with as you choose.
But if it breaks, you'll need to know how to fix it.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.