REF/XRF/DCS Listing - Source of Truth?

Help with D-Star related issues
k2dls

Re: REF/XRF/DCS Listing - Source of Truth?

Post by k2dls » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 pm

VK4TUX wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 am
Dan I had a chat to Geoff, and he indicated he will request merge into latest ircddbgateway
for the XLX linking feature, so hopefully it shows up in pistar in the near future ;

https://github.com/F4FXL/OpenDV/tree/NewXLX
Should that happen, this would be a useful feature. It could spell the end of pure XRF
reflectors as the auto registration method is better than waiting to get added to various
lists.

I do have to compliment NO9S who maintains the lists used by the OpenSpot. I emailed
him on Saturday to have XRF020 added to their list and it was done within 2 hours. But
all the different lists with no specific wait times is not helping the hobby. We need to do
away with these lists and go to a DNS based system with auto registration, similar to
dynamic DNS.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Dan.

Here's how I see it working for you currently.

If you want to link to ur xreflector. radio should read.
XRF020AL.

If you want to link to ur XLX. DCS020AL

DExtra host file will have an address for original low no dextra reflectors.
No.s that don't have an XLX alternative. Or aren't XLX replacements.

DCS hosts will have entries for XLX as that's the preferred protocol.

Any XLX that's known to be either a replacement for an original xrfd or be a new XLX that doesn't conflict with an actual xrfd 'low no' reflector will have entries in DExtra, DPlus and DCS hosts to support links on all protocols for XLX.

I do agree having the ability to filter all as posted in amongst the qrm might be an easier ( maybe even better ) solution, but it isn't native here. yet.

given ur A modules on both reflectors are bridged this should give you an ability for ur users to link with either. (Personal preference, I'll always go for the XLX connection, but that's just my preference. )

We now need to ensure the correct IP addresses is in the dextra host file.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:21 pm

k2dls wrote: We need to do
away with these lists and go to a DNS based system with auto registration, similar to
dynamic DNS.

Agreed to a point, unfortunately it's been tried before and the hosts of said lists often make demands of those that choose to use them. Bulldozing their way into groups and then demand to have a say in what gets done within that project, and get pissy when their ideas are debuted.

And can become a fine line in what an open system is... It's not always someone creates something for betterment, but to dictate and show how clever they are... For the glory of it.. such people often reside in fragile circles, I've seen 'em come and go over the yrs. And some are still at it Image

It needs to be done, similar to a wiki feed... where anyone (within reason) is free to update the list or make any needed changes, and should never be down to one individual or one specific admin group.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

k2dls

Post by k2dls » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm

That is why I like the autoregistration idea ...you get there first, it is yours. It takes away any opportunity
for favoritism, cliquishness, and other human weaknesses. This is where XLX gets it right.

We should also not reuse the same number for different resource across DCS, REF, XRF, XLX or whatever
may come along next. So, maybe we switch to a 7 digit number for the reflector resource (sound
familiar?) and have the back end figure out what the number represents and how to best get there.

So maybe to get to your favorite reflector you put 1234567L in your radio, the software queries the DNS,
it comes back with TXT records for the types of connections supported, your Pi-Star is configured with
an order of precedence to try them, such as DCS first, then XRF, then REF...and it just works!

This is a substantial change in the way of doing things, but would result in a more open and transparent
result.

BTW, may I please have an estimate on when my requested change to DExtra_Hosts.txt might be
addressed? ;)

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm

I know the frustration of choosing a reflector no only to loose it elsewhere.
Yrs back I setup a xrfd to link a small cluster of gateways and personal installs. It wasn't mainline originally just for a small user base but as more started to use it along came a reflector with the same no. Everyone that was using our intended link was actually taking via the USA each of our users hosts needed to be edited to work as intended. One of the reasons klx wrote in the ability for hosts files found in the systems root directory to take presendence over those added with the software. Followed by the ability to lock an IP address with an L so it doesn't get overwritten eg. DCS020 123.456.789 L. ( Doesn't work if you overwrite the file each night though)
On a similar theme yrs back there were two independent XRF001 reflectors.

Re ur updates...
Ive messaged those that can update ur addresses through the server. knowing they're busy with other commitments currently. Hopefully not too long.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

k2dls

Post by k2dls » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:17 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm
Re ur updates...
Ive messaged those that can update ur addresses through the server. knowing they're busy with other commitments currently. Hopefully not too long.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
Thank you.

I suppose I'd have to get some input from G4KLX on the DNS based directory. If he actually implemented it in ircDDBGateway it would truly simplify things. I'd be happy to do what I can do to get the backend up and running as a service. I've run major DNS implementations in the past and know others with similar capabilities in the amateur community so it would not be difficult at all to get going. And actually, it looks like K7VE has a lot of this in place already but without the dynamic registration component.

The most difficult thing would be to get folks to change the way their used to doing things...but usually if there is a clear benefit to them, folks go along. And we would always want to keep a local override capability for private networks, testing, etc.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Yeah Jon 'klx would most definitely need to be involved in having it written in to ircddbgateway. And, not going forward with something that's relying on 3rd party hacks.

Jon Hayes has been around digital systems a long time, Never met personally but conversed online and watched many of his presentations. He's got some good projects and ideas going on.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.