Using my Hotspot

Help with DMR issues
G1SCY

Using my Hotspot

Post by G1SCY »

I apologise in advance for this posting but I believe something was lost in my last posting.
Yes Im a virgin to DMR and to Hotspots.
So can some one tell me how to make a QSO using my hotspot.
Please.
So what does my radio need to be set to.
I guess my hotspot needs to be connected one way or t'other to my hotspot. WiFi or Ethernet
I have my call sign G1SCY and my DMR ID both are inbedded in my radio an Anytone D868uv and my hotspot.
My hotspot is configured albeit I can't get the hotpot talk to my PC using WiFi but its ok using my router and an ethernet cable.
I have a reasonable understanding of DMR.
I have a Moonraker code plug on my radio and Mirfield electronics whom I bought the radio of have put the Hotspot on 434mHz
Or point me in the direction of a tutorial
Thanks
Fred G1SCY
AF6VN

Re: Using my Hotspot

Post by AF6VN »

G1SCY wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm I apologise in advance for this posting but I believe something was lost in my last posting.
Yes Im a virgin to DMR and to Hotspots.
Based upon the responses in your previous thread -- nothing was lost on our side.
So can some one tell me how to make a QSO using my hotspot.
Please.
So what does my radio need to be set to.
It needs to be set to a channel whose parameters match the hotspot configuration (input/output frequency, color code, time slot 2) and which has a talk group/contact of interest (Contacts are either Group or Private; your DMR ID is a private contact ID -- if you don't have private contacts programmed in the radio, it will just display the DMR ID # when you receive; if you have the contact list populated, it will display whatever name [callsign] is associated with the DMR #).
The hotspot needs to have DMR mode turned on -- you probably want to have all the other modes turned off (in the future you might play with the DMR<>YSF or DMR<>NXDN cross over modes) and needs to have a DMR master which carries the talk group of the channel selected in the radio.
I guess my hotspot needs to be connected one way or t'other to my hotspot. WiFi or Ethernet
Pardon? I'm guessing you meant "... hotspot ... my Internet connection..."
I have my call sign G1SCY and my DMR ID both are inbedded in my radio an Anytone D868uv and my hotspot.
My hotspot is configured albeit I can't get the hotpot talk to my PC using WiFi but its ok using my router and an ethernet cable.
Since you are in a Pi-Star forum, the presumption is that your hotspot is running Pi-Star software. You haven't stated what boards you have (DV-Mega, Zum, Jumbo, etc. for the radio interface; R-Pi3b, 3b+, R-Pi Zero W, etc. for the computer/network interface).

In normal operation, Pi-Star WiFi will be connecting to a WiFi access point (your router). The only time your computer should even have a direct WiFi connection to a Pi-Star system is when the latter is NOT configured for your WiFi access point. In that situation, it will change from a WiFi client into its own WiFi access point, and your computer -- if told to make a WiFi connection -- should show an option with a name like "pi-star setup". If that appears, you need to use the control panel to add your WiFi router information, and then reboot the device. Also -- it will not use WiFi if an Ethernet cable is connected.
I have a reasonable understanding of DMR.
I have a Moonraker code plug on my radio and Mirfield electronics whom I bought the radio of have put the Hotspot on 434mHz
Did they also program the radio with at least one hotspot channel (and if they did, what talk group/contact). The Moonraker code plug, from the web site I looked at, ONLY provides entries for the UK repeaters. It knows nothing about hotspots. You (or whoever provided you with the gear) needs to use the radio programming software to add channels, and possibly any talk groups (contacts) that are not already defined -- for example, BrandMeister TG235228, is unlikely to be in the Moonraker codeplug (that talkgroup supposedly echoes the Plymouth TS1 TG9 local traffic per the GB7PL web site).

And if you are using a BrandMeister talk group, the hotspot will need to be configured with the nearest BM master node (I suspect BM_United_Kingdom_2341)
Or point me in the direction of a tutorial
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
https://amateurradionotes.com/dmr.htm

Do you have the radio programming software (CPS) and cable? It should be provided for radios sold to amateurs -- but since DMR radios were originally "land mobile" (business, government) usage, programming was restricted to providers -- the end-user was not given programming capability.

Connect the radio via the programming cable, start the programming software, and (very important) READ the radio contents and then save the configuration to your computer -- call it <whatever>_Moonraker.

Then, open the channel list (of the TyT CPS that is a
[+] Channels Information
on the left. Scroll through the listing of channels (per the Moonraker site, that will have one entry for each Analog FM repeater in the UK, and at least one channel for each DMR repeater (more likely, at least two channels -- one for time slot 1 and another for time slot 2).

Do you see any channels that might be hotspot specific? I configured mine with channel names starting "DV HS ..." for "DV-Mega HotSpot". If you don't see any, you will have to add some. Before you add the channels, open the (again, I'm using the TyT CPS for the MD390)
Digital Contacts
window. Using "BrandMeister TG235228" as the example, scroll through the contacts looking for a "group call" entry with the call ID # 235228. If you don't see that combination (group and 235228), add a new contact. Give it a name that makes sense to you (gb7pl plymouth local)

Now go back to the channel information window (click on the last channel in the list). Select [ADD]. Fill in the information: Digital, 12.5kHz, normal squelch, TimeOutTimer - 180 or whatever, Power LOW, Give the channels a name that makes sense, fill in the RX and TX frequencies to match the hotspot, Admit Criteria - Color Code. Contact name -- pick the contact you just created above, Group List - None (you can come back later if you define group lists), Color Code -- match what the hotspot is set to, Time Slot 2.

Now go to
[+] Zone Information
and click on the last zone defined. On the resulting window, click [ADD], give the new zone a name (HotSpot). From the list of Available Channels, find the channel you just created, and [Add>] it to the empty list of channels in the zone. (Note the difference between [Add] and [Add>], the first is to add a zone, the second is to move selected channels /into/ the zone.

Save the configuration (use another name <whatever_hotspot>).

Now comes the nerve wracking part... WRITE the configuration to the radio. This will take a while, make sure you have a full battery.

Disconnect the radio.

Using your browser, open the Pistar dashboard to the configuration page.
Control software should be MMDVMHost, and Simplex
If you make changes, click [Apply changes] and wait for the page to update.

Make sure DMR mode is ON, all others are OFF. [Apply Changes] and wait again.

Scroll down to "DMR Configuration" and select your local BrandMeister node for DMR Master, make sure color code matches what you programmed in the channel. [Apply Changes] and wait

Go to the Pistar dashboard Admin page, and verify you have green for DMR and DMR Net (I believe the first is the hotspot radio and the second is the Internet link to the master). On the left it should show your ID, color code, and TS2 green, along with the master you selected earlier.

Pressing PTT for a few seconds should result in the radio being picked up (it will appear in "local RF activity" AND result in the BM master connecting you to the talk group). The talk group should now appear in the DMR info on the left.

The above configuration gives you a channel that should mirror your GB7PL Plymouth LOCAL QSO (TG9 TS1 on the actual repeater).

For the UK specific group, see if TG 235 is already in the radio contact list (I suspect that one might be -- if not, you would add it just like you added 235228 [any group # starting 235 is probably specific to some part of the UK]. Then create a duplicate of the hotspot channel, but change the contact to the 235 entry (and give the channel a meaningful name). Go back to the zone information, and add /this/ channel to the hotspot zone.

At this time you might want to create a "group list" containing both contacts, and then set both channels to the group list. What this does is mean traffic on any contact in the group will be heard, and you can then switch to the proper channel to respond. Note that, unless you also configure multiple static or dynamic groups in BrandMeister this feature won't be much use. I have the two Michigan Statewide groups set up as static -- they don't get much traffic -- and TG 3100 as a dynamic. I can be set to 3100 channel, but if activity pops up on SW1 or SW2, my radio will sound it.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the info.
I have printed of the email response and am reading thru it.
Yes for hotspot read internet.
I have a Rasp.Pi V3B+
Its all configured and I have a Pi star dashboard.
I have the cable and the CPS software installed.
I can and have opened the code plug on my PC.
The problem I now have is I can't save the rdf file to my PC I can see it and open it and it says itsaves but when you remove the cable betweenradio and PC the saved file is there but there is nothing to open.
Any clues?
Fred
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

<sigh>

I've just downloaded https://www.moonraker.eu/downloads/dl/f ... _03_10.rar and https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0833/ ... .34.exe?22

Very slow running CPS...

Looking at "Public/Channel", the first 9 entries appear to have been targeted at hotspots based upon the channel name column. The first four assume a hotspot on 434.000 (HS TG [8 or 9] / Timeslot [1 or 2]).

Double-clicking on row 4 brings up the details for the channel:
Power: low
TX Permit: Always (maybe safe for a hotspot, but "channel free" is preferred for most uses -- to avoid doubling)
Color Code: 1
Slot: 2

{Heh -- the Digital Contact List still has me in Kentwood... No surprise, I only just managed to get access to RadioID.net to update my information}

This radio appears to separate talk groups from contacts (my older TyT MD390 is limited to a combined total of 1000, in one table; my MD207 has an update that can load a CSV file of contacts into a separate memory region, but even it runs out of space now).

I do not find TG235228 in the listing, so the GB7PL web site may not be accurate. TG 235 (UK Wide) does appear.

I do NOT have experience setting up a reflector for use with TG 9. Personally, I'd...
  • From the Channel list: Double-click the fourth channel and take a screen grab of the details window (print the grab or display in some graphics capable program)
  • [Cancel] the details window
  • Move to the end of the channel listings
  • Double-click the first empty row
  • Enter data to duplicate everything from the screen grab BUT change the name field to "HS 235/2 434", AND select the "235 UK WIDE" talk group from the contact field
  • [OK]
  • From the Zone list: Double-click "HOTSPOT"
  • Find your new channel in the listing on the left side (should be the bottom) and single click/highlight it
  • [>>] to move it to the zone contents on the right side
  • Optional: move it up/down as desired
  • [OK}
Save AS: somename.rdt
WRITE to RADIO

Ensure the Pi-Star configuration has DMR enabled, and is on the same frequency and color code (most all hotspots are already time slot 2), make sure you have the UK BrandMeister master selected. Apply changes.

Go to the status/admin page. If you have GREEN "DMR" and "DMR Net" the unit should be ready.

On the radio, select Zone HOTSPOT, then dial up the channel that was added (235).

PTT

If you have a valid master connection, this should switch you to Talk Group 235 via BrandMeister (this will be a dynamic talk group; it goes away if you switch channel to one with a different talk group).

My preferences would be to set up additional HS channels -- all on time slot 2 -- one for each talk group you may desire to use. It is much easier on a hotspot to just dial up the desired channel in the zone and let the master switch you to the dynamic talk group. If you ever set up static talk groups (always connected in Pi-Star and BrandMeister) you will want to create a receive group listing all the talk groups, so you know when traffic comes in on the group(s) you are not actively on.

Now, if you'll forgive me -- I'm going to remove that CPS from my computer

ADDENDUM: http://mrickey.com/2018/02/using-dmr-re ... ndmeister/ might be of use to you [note that this page states US Brandmeister master no longer support reflectors, since all reflectors have nominally been mapped to specific talk groups].
http://registry.dstar.su/dmr/reflectors.php does not appear to have a reflector tied to TG235, so for UK Wide you will have to use a dedicated channel.

Code: Select all

4400@TG2350 UK@1@1234
4401@TG2351 Chat@1@1234
4402@TG2352 Chat@1@1234
4403@TG2353 Chat@1@1234
4404@TG2354 Ireland@1@1234
4405@TG2355 Scotland@1@1234
4407@TG2356 Wales@1@1234
4409@TG2359 Kernow@1@1234
4410@TG23500 S.West@1@1234
4411@TG23510 UK S.East@1@1234
4412@TG23520 North West@1@1234
4414@TG23540 Ireland Chat@1@1234
4415@TG23550 Scotland Chat@1@1234
4416@TG23560 North East@1@1234
4417@TG23570 Wales Chat@1@1234
4418@TG23580 W.Midlands@1@1234
4419@TG23590 E.Midlands@1@1234
4420@TG23522 BM-UK Hub@1@1234
4426@TG23526 Allstar Link@1@1234
If I understand those instructions, you would select the HS 9/2 434 channel from the hotspot zone list.
You would then make a PRIVATE call (check your radio manual for how to do that) to, say, 4410 to get the UK SW reflector -- talk group 23500, after which you reset to TG9

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Hi
You said:-
Looking at "Public/Channel", the first 9 entries appear to have been targeted at hotspots based upon the channel name column. The first four assume a hotspot on 434.000 (HS TG [8 or 9] / Timeslot [1 or 2]).

TX Permit: Always (maybe safe for a hotspot, but "channel free" is preferred for most uses -- to avoid doubling)

My radio says
Looking at "Public/Channel", the first 9 entries appear to have been targeted at GB7PL various based upon the channel name column 1=TG235, 2= TG9 S1, 3=TG9 S2, 4= TG80, 5=TG81,6= TG82 etc to 9. The first four assume a GB7PL on RX 439.4750 Tx 430.4750 (HS TG [8 or 9] / Timeslot [1 or 2]).

Power: Various
TX Permit: Always
Color Code: 0

Confused Cornwall
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Hi

My radio says
Looking at "Public/Channel", the first 9 entries appear to have been targeted at GB7PL various based upon the channel name column 1=TG235, 2= TG9 S1, 3=TG9 S2, 4= TG80, 5=TG81,6= TG82 etc to 9. The first four assume a GB7PL on RX 439.4750 Tx 430.4750 (HS TG [8 or 9] / Timeslot [1 or 2]).

Power: Various
TX Permit: Always
Color Code: 0

Confused Cornwall
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G1SCY wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 pm Hi
That is what was in the RDT file direct from the Moonraker website.
My radio says
Either Moonraker made significant changes to their RDT since you obtained the radio, or the people you got it from populated it with something other than native Moonraker configuration.

My suggestions, again, would be to connect the radio, READ the existing code plug from the radio, and save it to the computer (I can't help if you can't get that step to work properly).

Download the Moonraker package for your radio, unzip it. Open that code plug RDT file, put in your DMR ID # in the proper place (save it to disk), and then WRITE it to the radio. At that point you should have a configuration matching the one I was looking at.

OR... Does the ZONE listing in your code plug have anything related to hotspots? If so, What channels are associated with that zone, and what parameters are they set up with (make a note of the channel names in the zone, then look for those names in the channel listing)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

OK will do download the codeplug as you suggest that is
Fred
G1SCY

Post by G1SCY »

Can't open the RAR file