Which frequencies to use?

General support for the Pi-Star System
k9ohv

Re: Which frequencies to use?

Post by k9ohv » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 am
I've made 2 .tft files for what I think one is your screen (you said earlier 2.4 but theres a basic and enhanced version), somewhere on your screen is the model number, just load the file that matches it. Then you can click on a button and it will set the default baud rate (theres no confirmation or anything, just when you touch the button it turns green). Then you can just power the screen off and load the other tft file from PD0DIB, and lets see what happens then.
That did it! Wasn't sure the baud rate changed because the button only went green while i was pushing it, guess that was what you were talking about. But when i reloaded the Model 8 file, it populated! It is a bit clunky though after i un-key, Reload is a bit sporadic. Thats probably just the way it is.
Thanks for all the help!
Rob

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

k9ohv wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 pm
That did it! Wasn't sure the baud rate changed because the button only went green while i was pushing it, guess that was what you were talking about. But when i reloaded the Model 8 file, it populated! It is a bit clunky though after i un-key, Reload is a bit sporadic. Thats probably just the way it is.
Thanks for all the help!
Rob

GREAT. I was starting to get worried cause we were getting to the end of the plank and running out of options.

Yeah, I just threw that screen together in a few minutes, theres no need to make it all fancy and display extra junk for a one time use, but I might take the time to make some screens that can set that cause its a heck of a lot easier than trying to explain how to hook up the screen to a FT232 board and manually programming it.

I would of pointed you to ON7LDS's screens with the same functionality, but his screens are for 3.5's and won't load on your 2.4.

I managed to get my hands on the exact same modem board you have, and fully tested it, so the precompiled firmware does have the serial repeater enabled, which you have also confirmed.

As far as it being clunky, thats pretty much the way it is. It is possible to speed up the serial communications, but that requires a custom firmware and loading firmware on that board is annoyingly unfriendly. I had never had any problems on the two other boards I've tinkered with, but that board requires at least 3 hands.

We could handle that a few different ways. I could type up all the commands and you can enter them one by one, or I can just build the firmware file for you, and you'll have to upload it to the Pi(using something like WINSCP), and then run a command to flash it while bridging some pins on the board. Then you'll have to load another screen I'd have to make to set the buadrate on the screen again. I wish they would of used a different STM32 that had the ability to detect the baud rate.

Let me know if you want to mess around with it some more. Its not any more difficult than what you've already been through and I'm sure there are others that might want to do the same.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

k9ohv

Post by k9ohv » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

I would of pointed you to ON7LDS's screens with the same functionality, but his screens are for 3.5's and won't load on your 2.4.
He has a 2.4 duplex screen file. Thats what i put back on after your baud screen.

As far as it being clunky, thats pretty much the way it is. It is possible to speed up the serial communications, but that requires a custom firmware and loading firmware on that board is annoyingly unfriendly. I had never had any problems on the two other boards I've tinkered with, but that board requires at least 3 hands.
Ok, thats fine. If its clunky, its clunky. I was just letting you know that in case it was a symptom of another issue.

Let me know if you want to mess around with it some more. Its not any more difficult than what you've already been through and I'm sure there are others that might want to do the same.
Ok, if you want to put the time into it, I'd be happy to be a tester.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 am

k9ohv wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 pm
He has a 2.4 duplex screen file. Thats what i put back on after your baud screen.
Pretty sure you installed PD0DIB's screens as ON7LDS only has 3.5's
https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriver ... er/Nextion
But those screens have a menu where you can set the default baudrate, PD0DIB's doesn't.
Last edited by KE7FNS on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 am

Heres the screen.

I added a msg to show you which one was set when you push on it.

just tap whatever default you want a few times and power it off and you are done.
Attachments
NX3224K024_011.zip
(124.89 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

k9ohv

Post by k9ohv » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Wow, that's a lot...
I had to go out of town on Sat, and today is Fathers day. I will try to get started on this tonight.

Thanks for all the work!
Rob

Quick question:You mentioned shorting one pin to a pad? Pin=Pad?

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:56 pm

k9ohv wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:43 pm
Quick question:You mentioned shorting one pin to a pad? Pin=Pad?
Yeah, I guess I interchanged that by mistake. If theres pins there, short them, if theres pads there, short them by whatever means is the easiest. It only needs to be shorted for the split second you hit enter on that last command. Thats why I said you need 3 hands. For some reason that board doesn't respond to the automatic signaling that is built into the flashing procedure.

k9ohv

Post by k9ohv » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 am

Had a problem, PM sent.