External antenna...???

If you just want to say hello, start here!
G8OGJ

External antenna...???

Post by G8OGJ »

Anyone got a clear reason why these small hotspots should not be used with an external antenna?

Is this an emissions issue or a licensing issue?

If the former, I have a 70cm cavity that would be quite a narrow filter and clean up any significant in-band and all out of band spurious emissions so would that do?

There is quite a lot of local screening where I live and a few mW to a 6dBi antenna atop the house might enable me to work in the local pub but no further...

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
G8OGJ

Re: External antenna...???

Post by G8OGJ »

Thanks for the reply - yes, there is not sufficient room for even a nasty ceramic filter on the board so that is a sensible deduction.

I have a spare cavity which should cover such out of band emissions - one of three formerly used in a repeater diplexer. I'd presume that the 50dB bandwidth is around 1.6MHz based on the previous application - I can test that roughly with my antenna analyser.

So unless there are any further updates, I think that my old cavity will be due for a polish! I'll bet that its lower loss than many smaller devices too!

I'll ensure that the Tx timeout is set so that it doesn't sit up all night jamming an obscure channel on its own for good measure.

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ