Can listen but not talk out

Help with D-Star related issues
KE0FHS

Re: Can listen but not talk out

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm not familiar with your radio, but with my radio, I have a channel set up to link to a reflector, for example, REF001CL, and then a second generic channel for talking once I am linked, CQCQCQ. I use DR Mode (a.k.a., Duplex mode: RPT1, RPT2, and a zero offset (either +/−0.000).

When I program the CQCQCQ channel for use with a reflector I'm linked to, I select "Use Reflector" to enter it, or I manually select Direct Input (URCALL) and type CQCQCQ.

I do NOT use the Local CQ option for talking after linking to a reflector or repeater using a hotspot; although this will populate the URCALL field with CQCQCQ like the other two methods, it also will change the Rpt 2 field, with the consequence that others will not be able to hear me.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

ct1dvm

Post by ct1dvm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am

KE0FHS wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm not familiar with your radio, but with my radio, I have a channel set up to link to a reflector, for example, REF001CL, and then a second generic channel for talking once I am linked, CQCQCQ. I use DR Mode (a.k.a., Duplex mode: RPT1, RPT2, and a zero offset (either +/−0.000).

When I program the CQCQCQ channel for use with a reflector I'm linked to, I select "Use Reflector" to enter it, or I manually select Direct Input (URCALL) and type CQCQCQ.

I do NOT use the Local CQ option for talking after linking to a reflector or repeater using a hotspot; although this will populate the URCALL field with CQCQCQ like the other two methods, it also will change the Rpt 2 field, with the consequence that others will not be able to hear me.
Until he adds another CQCQCQ entry to the urcall list in programming along with any reflector link urcalls he needs eg REF001CL,.. in the same list he will have the issue.
The factory CQCQCQ in the urcall list is setup for local repeater use. Another CQCQCQ needs to be added to allow the gateway. It is a common issue with the 9100, and I have helped many resolve the issue, when they followed my advice. Until the OP here does that, he will continue to have the issue using the existing factory CQCQCQ option.

AA3JC

Post by AA3JC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm

I have a early generation Icom IC-92AD that has given me the same results of not being able to talk on any Reflectors or being able to link to any D-Star Repeaters. After lots of setting changes in both my ZumSpot that sits on top of a Pi 3B+ I now have it working on DMR, D-STAR, and YSF.
First, the ZumSpot sitting on top of a Pi 3B+ I had to load the Beta 4.x firmware, upgrade the ZumBoard to the lastest and when setting up the Pi-Star software, understand that it WILL let you select wrong settings in some areas of the config. For example, the ZumSpot is a Simplex Board but you can set it up as a Duplex board. Wrong! but one of many mistakes I made trying to hear and/or talk over D-Star.

Ok, with that said, you may want to check the following settings: Must be set to Simplex, and dont forget to click Apply before moving onto the next section. Under D-Star Config: make sure Use DPlus for XRF: is OFF. In my case with the Icom IC-92AD with this setting on, I was able to connect to Reflectors only, Repeaters no. Once I got the correct settings in my 92AD I was able to talk and communicate on any connected Reflector....but could not link to any Repeaters, till that one setting was turned OFF.
My Icom required the following Memory channels setup as follows, for each Repeater I created 3 records: MY CALL IS AA3JC and for this example trying to connect to the K3PDR-B module. (*=space)

RX Freq TX Freq Offset Freq Offset Op Mode Your Callsign RPT-1 RPT-2
440.5000 440.5000 0 or "Blank" +Dup or -Dup DV K3PDR*BL AA3JC**B AA3JC**G
440.5000 440.5000 0 or "Blank" +Dup or -Dup DV CQCQCQ AA3JC**B AA3JC**G
440.5000 440.5000 0 or "Blank" +Dup or -Dup DV *******U AA3JC**B AA3JC**G

Reason for 3 memory channels is for my convience in linking/changing relectors or repeaters. For Reflectors it is exactly the same but substitute Your Callsign with the reflector name as in this example: REF021EL This will link to that reflector, and once your radio issues the link to voice or message then switch to the CQCQCQ

hope this helps