MMDVM Pi Hat - FT3d works and FT991 doesn't

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
G0KDT

MMDVM Pi Hat - FT3d works and FT991 doesn't

Post by G0KDT »

Hi YSF Chaps,

I am trying to help a friend, I assembled a couple of MMDVM Pi Hats and have set them up, one for d-star for me and the second for YSF

They are in different QTHs so not interfering with each other in RF terms and both work, well the d-star one seems to and I'm pretty sure the YSF one is ok too BUT.

After build and update with latest pi-star the YSF hotspot works with my friends FT3d but no matter what it will not link with the FT991a. Is there anybody out there with an FT991a that can help walk me (a non Yaesu user) to help my friend set up his FT991a to work with the hostspot. It is in simplex mode on 438.800.00MHz with zero offset.

I've read things about Menu settings 150 and 151, these are set at default although 151 seems to be (USA freq on 2m), should I don't know if he would need to change this, though I can't see why as the radio works into a C4FM repeater on 70cms when we tested it that way with the current settings. AND again the FT3d hooks in through the hotspot ( it just has such poor low audio it isn't easy to use when you can't hear it - hence he wants to use the 991a).

Any help would be gratefully received, I've groped through various forums and youtubes but I have to literally walk my friend through this but I'm stumped as I am simply not familiar with the radio being on d-star.

Thank you.
Phil
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: MMDVM Pi Hat - FT3d works and FT991 doesn't

Post by M1DNS »

Don't own a 991, but suggestions that setting the squelch setting to 20 in the 991a gets a connection.

No idea why that would be a thing but I've seen it written in several replies.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G0KDT

Post by G0KDT »

Hi Andrew,

Yes, we've seen that issue postee on Youtube but that doesn't seem to do it by all accounts. I can't actually put hands on the Ft991a myself as Nigel is in 3 months isolation so I am trying to work either via internet remote control to his RT systems software or talking through step by step. As you may imagine that isn't simple.

I built the hotspot for him and it was carefully transferred with lots of sanitising and no direct contact just before isolation was fully pressed home. We alteady were protecting as best we could but now its completely remote, by radio, skype or phone text. I have to say I am totally unimpressed with Yaesu's attitude and care making their current kit, its simply not a patch on what it was. There are bugs all over the 991a and no firmware fixes since feb 2018... only discount and dump selling which is sad.
G0KDT

Post by G0KDT »

More experimenting today identifies that switch on both the Ft3d and the Ft991a;

1. Tune both to the hotspot frequency.
2. Select c4fm and ask for Wires-x on the Ft991a

3. The Ft991a sits there trying getting nowhere.
4. Trigger the Ft3d to do the same and it hooks up AND so does the FT991a which was bubbling to it's stupid self before it dropped out again..

Well after that the FT991a stays hooks and can work through the hotspot and you can switch off the Ft3d. Come to connect again and you have to do the same song and dance. So at least Nigel can get on and use the Ft991a through this route. Using the ft3d is a no go as its simply not got enough audio for him to hear it, plus the fiddle of trying to use it.

I am wondering if this is down to some 'Hangtime' setting in the pi-star software and if the Ft3d is somewhat quicker to catch any digital handshake needed between the hotspot and it that assists the Ft991a. I haven't been in and remote controlled Nigel's hotspot settings as yet to try things out but wondered if others had found something similar?

Thanks Phil
G0KDT

Post by G0KDT »

I am wondering if other posts regarding the 991 connecting to Pi-star are suffering the same problems as we do.

Basically the MMDVM doesn't have an offset it is set at 438.800MHz and no offset.

When it boots the pi-star logs in and hooks up the room and the FT991 can receive the C4FM audio no problem there is no distortion as some users have reported its fine. However press the FT991 'X' button and does not connect, the thing does try to do something whatever Yaesu have asked it to do but it then drops back and no connect to the Pi-Star hotspot.

Reading other posts people are saying how Finicky the Yaesu can be on offsets..... but there isn't one... is it that we have to set and offset even though we shouldn't need one.....?

Ideas please, this Yaesu junk is doing my head in trying to help him.
Thanks
Phil
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You tune rx offset to match the rock in the hotspot to the tx of the user radio.

To tune an off set go to the expert section. Them mmdvmhost, about a third of the way down you'll see the adjust value fields for rx and tx offset. You'll be looking at adjusting the rx offset.

admin/expert/edit_mmdvmhost.php

There's two ways to adjust keep plugging away entering nos. Start at -350, move down in step of 50. Watch the dashboard BER for improvements.

The other way is to use pistar-mmdvmcal to find the offset value for you.
Google mmdvmcal, should find you a listing in how to use it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Make sure you are not using half-duplex in the MMDVMHost config or the radios.
I have a similar issue here with an FTM-400d and FT-2d, the hotspot is tuned for the 2D, and that works every time, the FTM-100d on the other hand works mostly...

This may also be a side effect of the power output of the FTM-100d (5w minimum) vs the FT-2D on low power (100mW ?) and over-loading the radio in the hotspot - so maybe also try moving the hotspot way away from the radio, run low power and see if that helps...

I might try adding an attenuator to the mobile radio here at some point too and see if that helps.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G0KDT

Post by G0KDT »

Hi Andy,

Pretty sure the radio is not in half duplex, but I can't actually set my hands on it at the moment until Covid passes (so could be a while) and trying to talk somebody through things is challenging at best of times.

Some have said that hey have had to fine tune settings in the pi-star detailed config settings areas to get their Yaesus' to work too, and I am not close enough to the tech detail that is going on in those settings to really start playing with that area.

Nigel got rid of the FT3D handheld that did one 1 in 3 attempts hook into the hotspot, as it was too feeble in audio terms for him to use, it was too expensive of a device to use that to get the Ft991a hooked up to the hotspot so now I hope the Ft991a will be for the boot too, I think we have struggled enough with it and Yaesu are absolutely useless at sorting things out that are still very definitely wrong with their kit.

I used to buy Yaesu kit a lot years ago but the poor experiences, not only with c4fm on the ft991a but also their lack of follow up to fix firmware faults in other areas like vfo indicator led control etc. have meant I won't go near anything they make again.

It's been an interesting experiment that I got to work for d-star and partially on YSF for Nigel, but I think we can safely say that digital via a dummy load to a hotspot isn't doing it for me on d-star I haven't listened in on it for nearly 2 months now since it worked. We can't find a link to hook d-star to c4fm or vice versa so we're done with digital.

kind regards
Phil.
pa1hun

Post by pa1hun »

Rather a late addition I'm afraid to this thread but I had something similar in that my FT-70DR would connect and the 991A wouldn't. Turned out I had not entered my callsign correctly. If the hotspot is operated in private mode then the radio will be unable to connect. You can see if this is happening by looking at the Live Logs section of the admin page. You'll see and illegal access attempt error.
K2CQW

Post by K2CQW »

The hotspot cycles through the different modes. Push the DX button again. It has happened with my ftm400xdr and my ft3d.
73 de John K2CQW