MMDVM Pi Hat - FT3d works and FT991 doesn't

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
G5VHF

Re: MMDVM Pi Hat - FT3d works and FT991 doesn't

Post by G5VHF »

G0KDT wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm Hi YSF Chaps,

I am trying to help a friend, I assembled a couple of MMDVM Pi Hats and have set them up, one for d-star for me and the second for YSF

They are in different QTHs so not interfering with each other in RF terms and both work, well the d-star one seems to and I'm pretty sure the YSF one is ok too BUT.

After build and update with latest pi-star the YSF hotspot works with my friends FT3d but no matter what it will not link with the FT991a. Is there anybody out there with an FT991a that can help walk me (a non Yaesu user) to help my friend set up his FT991a to work with the hostspot. It is in simplex mode on 438.800.00MHz with zero offset.

I've read things about Menu settings 150 and 151, these are set at default although 151 seems to be (USA freq on 2m), should I don't know if he would need to change this, though I can't see why as the radio works into a C4FM repeater on 70cms when we tested it that way with the current settings. AND again the FT3d hooks in through the hotspot ( it just has such poor low audio it isn't easy to use when you can't hear it - hence he wants to use the 991a).

Any help would be gratefully received, I've groped through various forums and youtubes but I have to literally walk my friend through this but I'm stumped as I am simply not familiar with the radio being on d-star.

Thank you.
Phil
I registered here just to post this. I had the same problems, until I discovered that in the FT991a there are two places where you enter your callsign. When you first configure the radio when new, you enter your callsign, and it would be fair to assume that this callsign is set system/radio wide, but no! You have to also go into a digital mode and go to my call again and enter it there, in mine the digi callsign was 'ft-991a'.

Once I'd done this, no problem. Be sure to wind the power down if using your pi-star, it would be easy to trash the front end on one with 50watts if the antenna is near the pi-star.

Hope this helps.