Pi-star changed IP address randomly..Help!

General support for the Pi-Star System
W8DU

Pi-star changed IP address randomly..Help!

Post by W8DU »

I noticed that yesterday I stopped being able to reach my pi-star (running on a RPi Zero W) over my home network. The radio still reaches it and I notice that all of a sudden, the pi-star is showing a different LAN IP address. It had been working well for weeks with my local IP address of 192.168.3.105. Now, with no intervention on my part, it is showing a LAN IP of 192.168.50.1. I can no longer reach it via IP.
Can anyone enlighten me as to how this happened and how I can fix it back to the 192.168.3.105 address that is compatible with my home LAN?

Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
p.s. I had recently, as of 2 weeks ago, updated to the latest pi-star image.
AF6VN

Re: Pi-star changed IP address randomly..Help!

Post by AF6VN »

192.168.50.1 is NOT a "random" IP.

That is the Auto AP address. This address should only be activated if the R-Pi failed to connect to a WiFi access point. The intent is that one configures their computer (tablet, et al) to connect to the R-Pi Auto AP directly (disconnect from your router, select the Auto AP address [or name: Pi-Star-Setup]), and use that connection to configure the desired WiFi information (possibly followed by rebooting the R-Pi so it can now attempt to connect to the network WiFi). You will NOT have access to the internet -- the connection is only computer <> R-Pi.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W8DU

Re: Pi-star changed IP address randomly..Help!

Post by W8DU »

Thanks for the reply Dennis. I had already 'solved' the problem by creating a wpa_supplicant.conf file using the tool on this website. I then copied that file to the root directory on the micro-sd card, reinserted the card into the RPi Zero W and rebooted it. Voila!
Hope this helps someone.
73 de Arnie W8DU