MMDVMHost RF and NET hangtime configuration

General support for the Pi-Star System
PA2TSL

MMDVMHost RF and NET hangtime configuration

Post by PA2TSL »

I amwondering why the mmdvmhost.ini file contains duplicate values for the RF and NET hangtimes.
The first lines (line 5 and 6) of the mmdvm.ini file have 300 s defined for RFModeHang and RFModeHang which is visible in the EXPERT-MMDVMHost menu.
In addition, all the different modes have their 'own' values in the same file, defaulted to 20 s. These values can be customized in the configuration screen as required when using the hotspot in multi-mode.
Will this mean that the individual 'mode' values will overrule the initial 300 s values?
If not, for what purpose have these values been defined in the mmdvmhost.ini file?
The difference is quite large (300 vs 20)... Just wondering... and is it worthwhile to modify these initial values (or just delete them)??
PA2TSL

Re: MMDVMHost RF and NET hangtime configuration

Post by PA2TSL »

Can anyone help??
I have searched the web (keyword mmdvmhost) but I cannot find any useable information how to set the timers.
In addition: can I just set all timers in the main configuration page to '"0" without causing problems (for myself or others)?
I am only using single-mode hotspots, so I would like to fine-tune these timers......
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

PA2TSL wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:36 am Can anyone help??
I have searched the web (keyword mmdvmhost) but I cannot find any useable information how to set the timers.
In addition: can I just set all timers in the main configuration page to '"0" without causing problems (for myself or others)?
I am only using single-mode hotspots, so I would like to fine-tune these timers......
If you are using "single-mode hotspots" the timers on the main configuration page should be irrelevant. They control how long the software stays in "Listening <mode>" after a transmission has ended. The intent is to allow time for a response to be made on that <mode> without having a DIFFERENT mode take control of the unit first. After the timeout, units configured for multiple modes will revert to "Listening" for ANY mode signal, and the first active mode detected will take control.

Can't help on the expert mode MMDVMHOST timer settings. One might have to explore the source code

Strange... I can't find an mmdvmhost.ini file on my system. Nor anything under just "m*.ini". Yet there is one shown on the source page for MMDVM https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVMHost/blob ... /MMDVM.ini

pi-star@pi-star-3b(rw):~$ sudo find / -iname 'mmdvmhost.ini'
pi-star@pi-star-3b(rw):~$

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
PA2TSL

Post by PA2TSL »

Dennis, thanks for your response.
The individual timers for the different modes are not applicable for single-mode as you indicate (makes sense)... so I set them to '0' (to be sure).
I cannot find the exact file for the MMDVMHost configuration either.... I also looked for 'MMDVM.ini' with SSH, but no success.
Anyway, the file contents can be displayed and edited in the expert menu....
Still no clue how to fine-tune the timers (lines 5 and 6 in the file) in that file.
73's, Tom
PA2TSL
PA2TSL

Post by PA2TSL »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 pm The exact file is /etc/mmdvmhost.
That's the one I was looking for, tnx!
So in the mean time I have found a file with some comments added to every line:

[General]
Callsign=F1ZZZ
Timeout=180 # Transmitter timeout in seconds. Default is: 120s
Duplex=1 # Is this station Simplex or Duplex. DVMega is simplex. Default is: 1
# ModeHang=10 # Time to stay in mode after receiption. If set overrides RFModemHang and NetModemHang
RFModeHang=10 # Time to stay in mode after RF-receiption Default is: 10s
NetModeHang=3 # Time to stay in mode after Network-receiption Default is: 3s
Display=None # If a screen of LCD is on the device (None or name)
Daemon=0 # Run in background

I have modified the RFModeHang and the NetModeHang values to 10 and 3 respectively in the EXPERT -> MMDVMHost screen.
A reboot has been carried out after having saved the file.
I have reviewed the file and now the original values (300) are back again..... :oops:
What is the reason that I cannot save these values for future use??
Can anyone help?
PU4BLA

Re: MMDVMHost RF and NET hangtime configurationAjustei o

Post by PU4BLA »

I tweaked the MMDVMHost RF 4 and NET 3 - hangtime on the main configuration page, it turned out pretty good.