MMDVMHost update

General support for the Pi-Star System
LU5AGQ

Re: MMDVMHost update

Post by LU5AGQ »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm Andy seems to be combining a few of the makefiles into one, and then using the Makefile.Pi.Adafruit for a separate binary for some odd reason. (I've still never found where that is even used)

I've tried to recreate what I suspect Andy is doing by downloading the same version of MMDVMHost that the latest binary reports 3313fe8ec3528f107172855a240a8d7839e881cf and build my own binary but I'm always off in size. The closest I've gotten is 60 Bytes and I'm not sure if maybe a library got updated and that caused the size difference or if Andy made changes to the code somewhere.

I ended up just giving up and just figured I'd wait for Andy and its been roughly 3 months now. Its rather disappointing and much longer than I expected.

Or that no absolutely no progress has happened since May, wasn't it you that said that Andy slows down and doesn't update things in the summer.

Again.... binaries != source code.
Well, thanks for clarify Jason. This confirms why I get errors when tried to use the plain MMDVMHost version in Pi-Star.

Seems that there's no other way than wait for Andy.

LU5AGQ

Post by LU5AGQ »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:06 pm
If you don't need the OLED, then what I wrote earlier will work fine (assuming it hasn't been deleted). If you need the OLED or PCF8574 I can add the definitions and modules to a makefile and send them to you or something.

Thats what I'm doing on my custom build, for now.
I don't need nor have any display on the board, so I'll definitely give a try.
KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:06 pm Yeah, its frustrating to have to wait on someone else to do something so simple. I don't understand what the big secret is and why he doesn't just fork the code and make his changes public or at least push his changes to the main repo.
It is. But I can understand people like Andy that do this as a hobby or for fun and there's no obligation at all and personally I appreciate their effort and dedication for the amateur radio community.
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

Sounds like you have a choice to make...

1. Accept it for what it is and focus your energy on other things!

2. Abandon using pistar and compile the relevant pieces of software yourself and update it as frequently as you please!

So unless you have a direct contrabution or financial interest in the project (this is my poor attempt at sarcasm) you get what you pay for!

Chill mate all will happen...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

WA1OKB

Post by WA1OKB »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:35 am
LU5AGQ wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:43 am It is. But I can understand people like Andy that do this as a hobby or for fun and there's no obligation at all and personally I appreciate their effort and dedication for the amateur radio community.
But when we all have to sit around and wait for one person to update our software that unfortunately creates an obligation because he's the only one that holds the secret key.

I've asked for the build information and specifically asked him to share his makefile more than a year ago.
viewtopic.php?t=1873

God forbid he suffer an illness, or gets run over by a bus or something.... He should publish everything necessary to build so that if, God forbid, anything ever happened, someone else could pick up the torch.
ec5zy

Post by ec5zy »

Hi, is there a way to manually update MMDVMHost within pi-star ?
the current version is running out of support for the new firmware stm-f44x.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

ec5zy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:41 pm Hi, is there a way to manually update MMDVMHost within pi-star ?
the current version is running out of support for the new firmware stm-f44x.
viewtopic.php?t=4061
--

Brian G8SEZ
ec5zy

Post by ec5zy »

"You don't have or don't have time, time is prioritized"
End of an era
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

ec5zy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:04 pm "You don't have or don't have time, time is prioritized"
End of an era
{Only two posts recorded in 8 months of membership to the forum, and both in the last 24 hours}

Or you could do what was asked for... LEARN HOW TO SUPPORT THE EFFORT AND BECOME PART OF THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM -- and work to provide a compatible update for MMDVMHost.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
ec5zy

Post by ec5zy »

How can I pretend that I can give support with something that I have not yet learned? I promise that when I learn I will be able to teach it.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

OK so yes it is still mostly a one man band. Many of us support Andy and pistar where we can in what we can do. There are also many others who have contributed along the way. Bins are still being updated fairly regularly, hosts are updated automatically, as is some of pistar other s/ware with changes being tracked at their source and pistar-server pushing changes out as and when they occur. It is obv. the major updates and changes that take much more time but its now the summer months where other demands for our time are greater on us all. Also understand the world has opened back up and people here do travel in relation to their jobs. The lock downs gave us a lot of time to code, now we're back at it moving around the globe, forfilling our work requirements

The call was put out, as you see by the link posted above for people who could help or are willing to help to come forward to help build on whats here currently. If you don't have the skill set that's fine, we don't expect you to put ur hand up. However what I will say is there are several well written how-tos out there for everything Linux, and I do mean everything so its possible to do what ur asking yourself. Alt.

We partake in a technical hobby where there is an expectation on the individual to learn so there are also several well written how-tos on getting mmdvmhost installed and running on ur pi (Its the engine at the heart of pistar) so maybe if you can't wait that's your answer, install a vanilla mmdvmhost, install a dashboard from many of the how-tos that are agn. out there and ur away with the latest vers. of mmdvm you can have.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.