Post by G8SEZ »

Timeout
--

Brian G8SEZ
RC3C

Re: TOut - what that means?

Post by RC3C »

G8SEZ wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:29 amTimeout
Thanks. I thought the same but had to ask about.
It's something new on dashboard.
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

RC3C wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:21 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:29 amTimeout
Thanks. I thought the same but had to ask about.
It's something new on dashboard.
Yes, this is the commit that caused it to appear when it didn't before:

https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... ac3a7399a6

specifically you now see Tout if the watchdog timer expires as well as if the RF user does so, but exactly why this happened I can't say.

This will have come in during the overnight updates this morning.
--

Brian G8SEZ
DG0OFZ

Post by DG0OFZ »

Hi,

this commit was from me.

It is initially meant to be for DMR mode not for D-STAR as in the screenshot above.
Several people observed the "TX" counter incrementing until infinity while the hotspots aren't in TX mode anymore. My fix added the detection of a special line appearing in the logfile and uses the string "TOut" to inform the user about this event.

If you like you may read the whole story here: https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... issues/117

@Anton:
Please find the line in the logfile (/var/log/pi-star/MMDVM...) which caused the "TOut" message. You should find it there by time and call and it should contain either "RF user has timed out" or "watchdog has expired". I'd like to know, if we should differentiate between DMR and D-STAR and you may get some more information why this event occured.

If needed I'll be glad to send a fix for this problem.
73s de Thomas, DG0OFZ
RC3C

Post by RC3C »

DG0OFZ wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 pm Hi,

this commit was from me.

It is initially meant to be for DMR mode not for D-STAR as in the screenshot above.
Several people observed the "TX" counter incrementing until infinity while the hotspots aren't in TX mode anymore. My fix added the detection of a special line appearing in the logfile and uses the string "TOut" to inform the user about this event.

If you like you may read the whole story here: https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... issues/117

@Anton:
Please find the line in the logfile (/var/log/pi-star/MMDVM...) which caused the "TOut" message. You should find it there by time and call and it should contain either "RF user has timed out" or "watchdog has expired". I'd like to know, if we should differentiate between DMR and D-STAR and you may get some more information why this event occured.

If needed I'll be glad to send a fix for this problem.
Thomas, Danke Shon fur info =)
I'll check your URL.
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC

KD2PNR

Post by KD2PNR »

I am seeing this show up for all stations on C4FM rooms (reflectors). I have 2 ZumSpot's that are showing only TOut for everything except my transmissions, and 4 other spots (of various flavors) that are showing the expected transmission times as before the 1020 update. If it matters, I have 1 spot monitoring FCS00454 directly, and another in DMR->YSF crossmode, and the second one shows times correctly while the first one is all TOut.

Is this an unintended result of the update, or is there some parameter I can set? I do not detect any timeout in the transmissions, no loss of signal or data, etc.
KD2PNR

Post by KD2PNR »

I just checked the log and it is showing a network timeout after each received transmission. This spot is on ethernet, and I have a very reliable network here. Hope this helps.
DG0OFZ

Post by DG0OFZ »

Hi,
KD2PNR wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:23 pm I just checked the log and it is showing a network timeout after each received transmission.
if its in the log file then there should be a reason for it and mmdvmhost is creating this line there. My work is only transferring this (error)message to the dashboard.

The root cause must not be on your side (but may). It's also possible that it is on the senders side or in the network in between.

You could paste the log line here and we could create a workaround for this special case.
But I don't think, this is what we all want. My opinion is if there is some error, we should display it. So the user is aware of it and can try to solve it.
73s de Thomas, DG0OFZ
DG0OFZ

Post by DG0OFZ »

Hi,

I've just checked on a local repeater with YSF enabled for log lines with "timeout". Yes, I can see them also at the end of some YSF transmissions from network side. For example this one:

M: 2020-10-21 17:23:59.131 YSF, network watchdog has expired, 0.1 seconds, 0% packet loss, BER: 0.0%

In DMR mode we have seen the TX time in the dashboard counting to infinity because the dashboard was not able to find the end of an DMR transmission when it ends with such a log line:

M: 2020-09-25 17:00:33.659 DMR Slot 2, network watchdog has expired

With my patch I've added a match pattern to the code to match at "watchdog has expired", which can be seen in both lines above. So the "TOut" is displayed in the dasboard.
73s de Thomas, DG0OFZ