Latest OS update causes boot loop

General support for the Pi-Star System
KD8DVR

Latest OS update causes boot loop

Post by KD8DVR »

I updated all 5 of my pi zero hotspots today, using pistar-update. Upon rebooting, the pi's just looped....by looking at the light on the pi. Never completed booting. Just would continually restart.

I have to restore images from backup. Fatal errors.

Any ideas why?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KD8DVR

Re: Latest OS update causes boot loop

Post by KD8DVR »

Oddly enough, when I pulled the plug, instead of doing a proper reboot, the pi's rebooted properly. Strange. At any rate, issue resolved.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

Yeah. I know. Strange...

KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KE7FNS wrote:
KD8DVR wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:26 pm Yeah. I know. Strange...
Were you looking at a monitor and seeing fatal errors, or just looking at the LED blink assuming it was bootlooping??

Cause the LED flashes X number of times to indicate a failure to load the different firmware files for the different chips during the boot sequence, but a fatal error AKA kernel panic would be beyond the firmware booting process, and would indicate a problem with the kernel or some hardware failure the board itself.

Code: Select all

* 2 flashes: Error reading SD card.
* 3 flashes: start.elf not found
* 4 flashes: start.elf not launch-able (corrupted)
* 7 flashes: kernel.img not found
* 8 flashes: SDRAM not recognized. You need newer bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware, or your SDRAM is damaged
I was looking at the leds. Looked like it tried to boot....but it could very well have been sending error codes.