DSTAR Connection Issues

All IP networking related issues
wx9kvh

Re: DSTAR Connection Issues

Post by wx9kvh »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:37 am
wx9kvh wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:05 am So, unless I need to forward ports that I'm unaware of, I'm not sure what else to say at this point.
Port forwarding is for allowing outside connections to enter your internal network. Its the same sort of mechanism as ZeroTier, just done a bit differently.

There is absolutely no reason to NEED or to even do any port forwarding (or use ZeroTier for that matter) to run Pi-Star. There are not outside connections that are connecting to you, your hotspot is connecting to outside servers like BM.

A Pi-Star update contacts github and pulls down any modified files, that is just simple outgoing web traffic. You said it didn't work but have never said what the actual error was. So I guess I'll never know what the actual problem is.
Error from the update failing was a timeout error when attempting to contact GitHub. I have no way outside of deleting everything and starting from scratch to know exactly what the particular error was. I can do this one of these days and attach a copy of the log when it fails.
wx9kvh

Post by wx9kvh »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:19 am
wx9kvh wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 am Error from the update failing was a timeout error when attempting to contact GitHub.
See the bolded sentence I said previously.
KE7FNS wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:54 pm You should be able to write an image to the SD card, make a wpa_supplicant.conf file, and the RPi should boot, reboot, and then connect to your home network, and be able to do all the normal web things from the command line. (aka, sudo pistar-update, etc). You don't have to add or configure anything, if that doesn't work, then there is some sort of problem that is not something to do with Pi-Star.
Github could of been experiencing an outage. Your ISP could of been experiencing issues. I could probably fill this entire page of things that could of happened that resulted in what you encountered, but the problem is you can't really see an error about connecting to one website and conclude "nothing works".
Hmm. Pretty sure I stated earlier in this topic that my duplex spot was able to connect, and download the updates just fine with zero issues on my home network, but the simplex spot wouldn’t on the same network indicating no issue with GitHub.

I am not new to this, I know a fair bit about how things are supposed to work.

If you would like, I’d be willing to make a video of me doing a fresh install of pi-star, without ZeroTier and send you a link so that you can see it’s “nothing I’m doing”. Or we can go with the ever popular Zoom meeting so you can watch live.

As I said earlier, I will look into things on my home network end and see what I can discover, but won’t have time to do so until this weekend. So until I have time to do that, there’s no sense in trying to beat a dead horse over and over again.
wx9kvh

Post by wx9kvh »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:11 pm
KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm I'll do my own test when I get a few minutes of spare time today. I'll write an image to a fresh SD card, and boot up a crappy RPi Zero W, and immediately test if it can contact Github through the Pi-Star update script or not. My guess is there will not be any issues encountered.
Test completed, as suspected no issues encountered.

Granted it was as slow as molasses in winter, and the single "sudo pistar-update" command took 45 minutes to complete. I was also not doing anything else like accessing the dashboard, or configuring anything at that time which would of caused an increase in the CPU load.
Update, it just so happens to have turned out that there wasn't an issue with my ISP or my home router, the issue I suppose was with the brand of SD card I was using(Micro Center), or possibly the particular batch I had of new ones sitting in my drawer as my duplex hotspot had the same brand. I purchased a SanDisk brand 16gb card, put a fresh install of pi-star on it, and it was able to do updates on my simplex hotspot using my home Wi-Fi network with zero issues, and no ZeroTier installed. Didn't realize a different brand SD card could make such a difference. But now I know.