Not Linked on Repeater 98% of the time

Help with D-Star related issues
n8dad

Not Linked on Repeater 98% of the time

Post by n8dad »

how can i fix or what is wrong 9 out of 10 times i cant connect to any repeater just comes back and says "not linked"
but any time day or not i can connect to a reflector fine, doesnt matter how many repeaters i try that have gateways are connected via i-net
and it hardly ever connects then all of a sudden hours later it works fine, i dont get it

73, Barry N8DAD- DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS ISSUE
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Not Linked on Repeater 98% of the time

Post by M1DNS »

n8dad wrote:how can i fix or what is wrong 9 out of 10 times i cant connect to any repeater just comes back and says "not linked"
but any time day or not i can connect to a reflector fine, doesnt matter how many repeaters i try that have gateways are connected via i-net
and it hardly ever connects then all of a sudden hours later it works fine, i dont get it

73, Barry N8DAD- DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS ISSUE
Repeater addresses aren't stored and updated in any of the host files, where reflectors addresses are.
For the simple reasons what youd want to connect with i might not and adding or maintaining every repeater address in the world would be a hugh undertaking.

So youll need to edit the host files found in /root and add the ones ur interested in connecting with.
(Not forgetting to keep track of updating any that are using dynamic addressing.)

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n8dad

Post by n8dad »

So that was the problem, thanks for your help all fixed now I think 😆😆😆😆
Ki6anr

Post by Ki6anr »

if they are not stored or updated in any host files like the OP said, how come all of a sudden linking to a repeater will randomly work and other times it stops?
Ki6anr

Post by Ki6anr »

Welp, I dont know WHY this unable to link repeater thing is happening but I have found the (annoying) way to fix it. When my pi-star boots up I 100% of the time am unable to link directly to a repeater, it says "Not Linked". If I go into configuration and click "Apply Changes" under the 'General Configuration' (without changing ANY values!), I can then go back to the admin page and instantly am able to now link to repeaters directly....until the next boot. What. The. Heck. I've reproduced this about 10 times in a row now and it works every time.
AE8JG

Post by AE8JG »

At the risk of sounding like I've not looked for the location to add the addresses of repeaters (and I have) do they get added to the hosts file, or is there somewhere else that they get added?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Which mode as it differs.

It sound to me like your pi is taking to long to aquire a net connection.
Its trying to initiate a connection before its actually online.

Cycling the config restarts pistar services including in those services is the startup call to connect to ur choosen reflector at this point, ur pi has had ample opertuanty to establish a connection to the interwebs.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Hold up, is this the hijacking of someone elses thread?

If so i do wish users would create a new question of their own and not tag a question onto the bottom of an old thread.

i might of answered two questions here at the same time ?? meaning weve revived an old thread here for no good reason.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AE8JG

Post by AE8JG »

M1DNS wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:01 am Hold up, is this the hijacking of someone elses thread?

If so i do wish users would create a new question of their own and not tag a question onto the bottom of an old thread.

i might of answered two questions here at the same time ?? meaning weve revived an old thread here for no good reason.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but given the fact that my exact question is the same one that is posted in this thread and there is still not an actual answer to this question, this seemed like a relevant place to, perhaps, get an answer...
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Unlike reflector addresses, repeater addresses are not stored in the host files.

If you need to connect with a specific rptr you need add its call & IP add. in the host file found in pistars /root folder. Add its entry in the host file for the protocol you want to use for its connection.

If you make use of the quadnet service (or have an active ircddb repeater subscription) that can feed you a list of repeater IP addresses list which ircddbgateway will use to create the connection, it feeds it to ur install as it detects them or as they change their dynamic IPs. They are not instantly available on a cold boot. Which is why we suggest you manually add any you are regularly interested in connecting with into the user hosts in /root.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.