Brandmeister Dual-Hat Issue - Duplex Fails / Simplex Works

Help with DMR issues
W8NIN

Brandmeister Dual-Hat Issue - Duplex Fails / Simplex Works

Post by W8NIN »

Howdy Gents,

So I’m having a specific Brandmeister problem with my dual-hat MMDVM when using 2 frequencies for RX/TX in duplex mode. I do not have this problem on the TGIF network so it is specifically a Brandmiester issue. I have tried to solve this issue with the Brandmeister Telegram USA group and I was told:

1. It’s your Pi-Star configuration (and no assistance on how this can be corrected)
2. It’s your codeplug (ditto above)
3. It’s DMRGateway (It’s not, the BM admins have no experience with DMRGateway [they admitted], and ditto above)
4. We told you the problem you’re just too stupid to fix it yourself (you can look thru the Telegram conversations yourself. I’m a degreed Mechanical Engineer. So yes, I can fix it with a hammer, but that’s not the path I’m choosing to follow here. :D )

That being said, when I have my dual hat set up for duplex operation, apparently this configuration is incompatible with Brandmeister, as they told me that:

“Your problem is that your hotspot tells BM it is operating as simplex hotspot, but it gives different rx/tx which is normally for duplex. Unlike other dmr networks, bm checks on this and refuses the connection.” -0liver on Telegram

So….is there a way to use my dual-hat in dual-frequency mode without using a 6-digit repeater DMR ID? I do not think I will go that path [as a 6-digit DMR ID Repeater] as there are very limited 6-digit repeater DMR ID’s to go around. I am currently using the dual-hat modem in simplex mode and it works wonderfully in this capacity. But I eventually want to use TS1 + TS2….I gotta get to making the dual-hat work in duplex mode to use both time slots, yes?

Hopefully this hasn’t been covered in a previous post. If so please post the link and I’ll be on my way. Thanks in advance. If you need additional information, please let me know.

Mike Doerner
Whiskey Eight Nine Inch Nails [W8NIN]
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Brandmeister Dual-Hat Issue - Duplex Fails / Simplex Works

Post by M1DNS »

Yeah you should have no issue running a duplex hotspot with it logging in using a 7digit ID

You need to ensure if its set to duplex you have seperate tx and rx freqs entered.

Bm server will check this info if both freqs are entered the same it will presumes its a wrongly configured simplex install and it bounces your login request.

Simplex setup must have both tx & rx freqs entered the same.

Duplex setup must have differing tx & rx freqs.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W8NIN

Post by W8NIN »

Hi Andrew,

The issue is the duplex configuration fails as it is rejected by Brandmeister. All I have done is changed from simplex 446.150MHz to 442.525 / 447.525 MHz for TX / RX in duplex and I can transmit fine, but no RX. Brandmeister says they blocked this configuration so I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without a 6-digit repeater DMR ID.

Thanks!
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Unless im missing something specific to usa it doesnt matter what freqs are used (as long as they are in band) only that they are different to one another.

One other consideration is that the callsign and ID used for the login must also match.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W8NIN

Post by W8NIN »

Hi Andrew,

For TGIF, yes, this configuration works. For Brandmeister it does not. They (BM) check the frequencies of the hotspot. Hence my question.

If you want to check the discussion I had with Brandmeister about this issue on Telegram, be my guest.

Mike Doerner
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yes. Thats what im saying

Bm have certain checks in place to ensure correct configuration.

Duplex must have offset freqs.

Simplex must show freqs the same.

Ps. As well as this here.
Im also part of a BM uk team.
But im not currently watching the USA groups. So cant cross check their replies to you there.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W8NIN

Post by W8NIN »

Duplex offsets - 442.525 MHZ / 447.525 MHZ
Simplex 446.1500 MHz

So I'm not sure why my config is not compliant?

Regards,

Mike Doerner
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

The only thing I'm getting out of this thread is that you've been flipping between duplex/repeater and simplex/hotspot with the same device.

I'd propose that BM has a record of that device (however they track them -- MAC address? DMR/SSID) as a simplex/hotspot, so when it suddenly starts reporting it is duplex/repeater the config is considered invalid.

Have you changed the SSID between the two modes (use one SSID when simplex, use a different SSID when duplex)? Can you delete the simplex/hotspot from BM self-help during a period where the device is unpowered but configured as duplex/repeater? THEN boot the device and see if anything appears on BM.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W8NIN

Post by W8NIN »

That might be part of the issue. When I was in duplex mode, Brandmeister would not show the hotspot I was on (It saw 01 and 02, both simplex, but 03 which was configured for duplex would not show up on the Brandmeister dashboard.)

When I reconfigured it for Simplex mode....Brandmeister saw it just fine. Hmmmm....

Regards,

Mike Doerner
W8NIN
G7OJA

Post by G7OJA »

Hi Mike

Did you ever get this resolved, as I think I'm now experiencing a very similar issue into BM, but where connection into another DMR server (RAYNET UK) is working fine using split frequencies, but where the mmdvm selection actually doesn't match what's printed on the mmdvm circuit board too.

mmdvm board claims to be "MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (DB9MAT, DF2ET & DO7EN) for Pi GPIO" - but when I have that selected in the pistar config, nothing works! It's running fine right now into RAYNET UK using mmdvm set to "MMDVM_HS_Hat (DB9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi GPIO", but BM device log seems to report incorrect config - probably because it 'thinks' it's simplex but device then reports two frequencies and it'[s not seeing it as a repeater board?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated, as this is driving my head crazy for weeks now!

Best 73's
Paul / G7OJA