Pi-Star upgrade to latest breaks on zero 1.1, and rpi 2

General support for the Pi-Star System
KN4YCD

Pi-Star upgrade to latest breaks on zero 1.1, and rpi 2

Post by KN4YCD »

Guys -

What I've seen in the last couple of days is interesting. I've taken a perfectly working pi zero 1.1 and did the upgrade to 4.16. Will not come up, and indicates a kernel panic error on boot. Weird, I thought. Maybe SD card. Started over with the 10/21 version of pi-star again. configured. all working. upgraded to 4.16, and it went sideways.

Thought ok, maybe my zero is dying. snagged a spare 2 (also working, sacrificed my octopi install), booted up, and lo and behold, the exact same sequence of events. Also kernel panic on boot. Started fresh, and it repeats. Same thing.

What I am seeing is that upgrading to 4.16 is not working on older pi hardware. As I don't want to use my rpi4 for a hotspot, i can't speak to that model.
KN2TOD

Re: Pi-Star upgrade to latest breaks on zero 1.1, and rpi 2

Post by KN2TOD »

How are you initiating these updates? Via the dashboard update selection or via the command line update process?

There have not been any significant changes to Pi-Star since the 10/21 version, certainly none that would cause the kind of failure you describe, but there have a few times during the last few months that Raspbian updates have been sizable and required multiple passes to complete.

I suggest going back to your 10/21 base and run the dashboard process only and then reboot to verify those updates are operable.

Then go to the terminal (SSH) and run the usual apt update/upgrade commands multiple times until no more package updates are available. Along the way, there may be some messages here and there about running out of space, but if you repeat the update/upgrade process, you'll eventually get all the required packages updated. Reboot only after you satisfied that all the updates have been cleanly applied.

Code: Select all

rpi-rw
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrde
rpi-ro