Unable to login

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC4JMS

Unable to login

Post by KC4JMS »

After upgrading to the latest revision of pi-star it will not accept my login information. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a way to fix the problem.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Unable to login

Post by M1DNS »

How did you upgrade. Via the upgrade link, command line, or by burning a new image?
If its a new image then youll be back to using the default 'raspberry' password until you login and change it.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KC4JMS

Post by KC4JMS »

I upgraded via the upgrade link. Current version is 4.1.6.
KC4JMS

Post by KC4JMS »

Just to be clear, the pi-star is hard wired to my internal router. When I put the IP address in the browser it shows the dashboard and gateway activity. When I try to get to my configuration it requires me to put in my user name and password. This is where I'm having the trouble. It will not accept my user name and password and will not accept the default user name and password either.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KC4JMS wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am Just to be clear, the pi-star is hard wired to my internal router. When I put the IP address in the browser it shows the dashboard and gateway activity. When I try to get to my configuration it requires me to put in my user name and password. This is where I'm having the trouble. It will not accept my user name and password and will not accept the default user name and password either.
Unless you created a personal account on the unit, there is only ONE user name: pi-star
If you never changed the password of that account, it will be the default: raspberry

Both are all lower-case! Have you tried using a SSH client (PuTTY, for example) and trying to log in from it?

If you did change the password and don't remember it correctly, there isn't much that can be done on the R-Pi itself. You might be able to mount the SD card on a system that understands Linux EXTx file systems, and manually edit the password and shadow files for the "pi-star" account in a manner to set it to a one-time "no password" condition -- which WILL require you to log into the unit with a SSH client as the first activity should be a forced "change" of the password.

https://int0x33.medium.com/day-65-chang ... 0698069156
Password, 13 character encrypted. A blank entry (eg. ::) indicates a password is not required to log in (usually a bad idea), and a ``*’’ entry (eg. :*:) indicates the account has been disabled.
If that entry is correct, changing /etc/shadow row for "pi-star" to a blank password (and remember to reset permissions on the shadow file -- normally it is something like only root can read it, and you'd had to change permissions to edit [the idea behind the shadow file is that passwd was globally readable, making it possible to do brute-force dictionary scans for matching encrypted passwords and extracting the user name for the matches; passwd is still global, but no longer is used for the password itself]).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AC4MU

Post by AC4MU »

I had the same problem. Somehow it cleared during the day and i was able to login.