Zumspot running Pi-Star not staying connected to Talk Group

General support for the Pi-Star System
KI1U

Zumspot running Pi-Star not staying connected to Talk Group

Post by KI1U »

Question, and my apologies if that has been asked. I am using a YSF radio, FTM-100, to connect to DMR through my Zumspot running Pi-Star 4.1.6. I have no issues using the YSF2DMR feature to access talk groups on our CANTRBO network. The issue is this. The only way it connects is for me to key the radio a couple times. It will then connect for a while and eventually time out (not sure how long this takes) and drop the connection. This makes it difficult to monitor a TG and I'm not a fan of "kurchinking" to reestablish connection. Is it possible to set up the Zumspot/Pi-Star configuration, in YSF2DMR mode, to keep the connection active? Thanks
AF6VN

Re: Zumspot running Pi-Star not staying connected to Talk Group

Post by AF6VN »

Per http://www.ve2tax.com/Hotspots.aspx (the smart quotes don't render in my browser, so cut&paste shows noise) [color emphasis is mine]
4-Under DMR+ Network Options, use the options line to enter what talkgroups you want to your hotspot. You can copy and paste and modify our example as a starting point. TS1_1=3;TS1_2=302;TS2_1=3023;TS2_2=3029;
If you don’t enter any talkgroups, you won’t hear any traffic unless you PTT and activate the dynamic timer, however as soon as that short timer disappears, audio won’t be routed to your device, so it is extremely important to ensure you specify your talkgroups.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KI1U

Post by KI1U »

Thanks, I tried that and it sort of fixes the problem. It works when using a DMR radio through the hotspot to the DMR network. It doesn't seem to work when using YSF2DMR to access the DMR network.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KI1U wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:32 pm Thanks, I tried that and it sort of fixes the problem. It works when using a DMR radio through the hotspot to the DMR network. It doesn't seem to work when using YSF2DMR to access the DMR network.
My understanding is that the only real thing cross-mode does is take the AMBE encoded voice data, and change the protocol wrapping it to that compatible with the destination. I don't see anything that would make a DMR server see it as a different/dynamic talkgroup to be timed-out.

I've not tried cross-mode. {and since I've decided the rust-bucket is getting an ICOM ID-5100 rather than a Yaesu FTM-300, don't expect to try cross-mode either. I have D-STAR and DMR HTs, but no YSF gear... I'd rolled my decent low-mileage Jeep with the FT-100 all-mode, and my brother managed to lose some of the mini-screws used by the remote mounting cable, so I don't have room to mount it in the replacement vehicle bought from relatives. Plus side FTM-300 did analog APRS, but negative side is adding a third digital mode to the stable]

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber