DMR to DSTAR configuration

General support for the Pi-Star System
K1TOF

DMR to DSTAR configuration

Post by K1TOF »

Hello,

I am trying to use DSTAR with an AnyTone D878 device connected to a SkyBridge Digital Hotspot. Is that doable?
MMDVMHost running Pi-Star:4.1.5

Thank you
AF6VN

Re: DMR to DSTAR configuration

Post by AF6VN »

Available (on-line) Bridgecom documentation is very skimpy for the SkyBridge hotspot, making no mention of any other digital modes at all! Does it even support running anything other than DMR?

That said, very few devices support D-STAR cross-over modes. Pi-Star does not support cross-mode with D-STAR!

D-STAR uses a different AMBE codec from that used by DMR, P25, NXDN, and YSF. For the latter four, cross-over mode merely requires swapping the "wrapping" around the digitized voice data to contain the routing information required by the target system.

To cross over with D-STAR requires having an AMBE chip that understands both codecs -- essentially one side takes in the digital stream, converts to analog, feeds the analog to the other side, which then redigitizes it with the other codec {a single-chip understanding both MIGHT go digital to digital bypassing the analog stage}. AMBE codecs & chips are $$ from one company.

You might be able to find some DMR talkgroups (BM?) that echo specific D-STAR reflectors (I believe this is more likely with XLX servers having both AMBE codecs and feeding to other systems, REF servers not so much)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: DMR to DSTAR configuration

Post by M1DNS »

AF6VN wrote:
To cross over with D-STAR requires having an AMBE chip that understands both codecs -- essentially one side takes in the digital stream, converts to analog, feeds the analog to the other side, which then redigitizes it with the other codec {a single-chip understanding both MIGHT go digital to digital bypassing the analog stage}. AMBE codecs & chips are $$ from one company.
Conversion process doesnt convert to analogue. The signal chain remains digital 1s and 0s thoughout. Other than that, your spot on.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.