Pi-Star Voice Gender

General support for the Pi-Star System
KK4C

Pi-Star Voice Gender

Post by KK4C »

This is admittedly a bit of a weird issue, but a sincere one.

I am using my Pi-Star ZumSpot for all of my DStar traffic, coupled with my ID-52A.

The Pi-Star is set for US English.

But I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the announcements coming from my ZumSpot in the female gender. i.e. The announcement of the hourly time, the reflector announcement in response to the Reflector I command etc. I believe that this voice comes form the Pi-Star, and not from the ID-52a.

I have no hearing difficulties, but would really like to be able to change the Pi-Star voice to a more understandable male gender.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Bill
KK4C
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pi-Star Voice Gender

Post by M1DNS »

Ist up its not a 'pistar voice' (with exception a good enough discript to get a meaning of what ur referencing)

The voices come as part of the ircddbgateway package. So any changes would need to be made upstream of pistar.

To answer your request...

Voices in ircddbgateway can be changed to suit your language, but otherwise they are pretty much hard coded.

The announcement is saved as AMBE data inside ircddbgateway. Individual recordings of actual AMBE voice frames,
ie linked to, one, two, three, four, five x ,l, x, r, e, f, etc.
which the ircddbgateway software calls and assembles in order as needed, to create the announcement.
Meaning, to change them youll need hardware to create alternative AMBE files.

That all said, you do get a choice of voices in the config, so might want to change the default out for another.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KK4C

Post by KK4C »

Well, thanks for the reply in spite of my mislabeling the origin of the voice.

Looks like I am stuck with this anemic female voice, and I will have to muddle through discerning her meaning.

Thanks again for 'splaining...

73s

Bill
KK4C
W6CJ

Post by W6CJ »

You might try setting the ircddb voice to UK English, it sounded better to my Yank ears.
W6CJ