I Can't Update My Software

General support for the Pi-Star System
M0BGR

I Can't Update My Software

Post by M0BGR »

I have a DVMEGA-EURONODE hotspot that I haven't used for a while. I fired it up over the weekend and it worked OK, but its software is out of date (3.4.16) so I tried to update it. I tried 'Update' from the dashboard, but this just hung so I decided to start from scratch and blast a new mini SD card by downloading Pi-Star_RPi v 4.1.5 from pistar uk. I used 'SD Card Formatter' and 'BalenaEtcher', which verified the build. (Fortunately, I kept the existing card and blasted a fresh one).

This seemed to go OK but the new software wound not run on the hotspot - it just sat there with a slow flashing light. I added wpa.supplicant.conf file to the boot section of the card configured for my wifi network. No joy. Connected hotspot to my network with Ethernet cable, again no luck.

I then got a new mini SD card and built the 4.1.5 software on that and went through the above steps without success. Any suggestions?

If my DVMEGA won't accept 4.*.* software can I download the old version 3.4.16 anywhere as I would like to build a backup mini SD card?

Thanks Dave M0BGR
G4FDL

Re: I Can't Update My Software

Post by G4FDL »

Connect a monitor via the HDMI port then boot with 4.1.5, that may show why it's failing to boot. Most likely problems are bad image (use different tool like win32diskimager) or failing to wait long enough for first boot to expand file system.
M0BGR

Post by M0BGR »

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the DVMEGA-EURONODE doesn't have an HDMI port. BalenaEtcher verified the write to the SD card, but I will try win32diskimager.

How long should it take to expand the file system? I waited over an hour and it still hadn't done anything.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Will it boot a pure RaspiOS image (currently up to Debian Bullseye). If it won't boot that with the radio card removed, there is a good chance it won't boot anything with/without radio card.

3.x is running a Jessie based OS -- and that is ages out of date; Debian likely no longer has archives of updates.
Pi-Star skipped Stretch and went to Buster as Buster is the first version that supports R-Pi 4 models.

DV-Mega site states it is R-Pi compatible processor board -- but that /could/ mean it uses a different boot configuration file provided by DV-Mega, not the GPU boot files used by the R-Pi.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Euronode runs a custom release of pistar, not the std. image that you'll get from pistar.uk

Youll find a D/load for it on
dvmega.dl website.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M0BGR

Post by M0BGR »

Thanks for your help with this - I finally got it to work!

My DVMEGA-EURONODE hotspot does not seem to work with the image downloaded from the pistar UK, but I found a Euronode image on https://www.dvmega.nl/sdimage/SDEuroNode.zip (note dvmega.nl not .dl) I flashed this with BalenaEtcher and fired up. It took a few minutes to load and I could then access it via http://pi-star. It was important to connect the hotspot to my router via Ethernet during the initial bootup but once the hotspot was fully working I could disconnect the Ethernet cable.

I am now on Pi Star v 4.1.6, and back on the air, so thanks again for your help.

73 Dave M0BGR
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep, Team pistar created a custom vers. of Pistar fo euronode at the bequest of Guss & Rudy (DVmega) how additionally put their own twist on it by adding their own custom work.

So the std. Pistar website release wouldnt have worked on this device.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.