PI zero and Win 11

General support for the Pi-Star System
G8OQG

PI zero and Win 11

Post by G8OQG »

Hello all

I have two PI zero hotspots , one SD card would work OK in either , then I was having problems with PI dashboard not being able to talk to one of the hotspots , at first I thought it was a card problem but reloading the card many times made no difference .
I did a lot of messing about trying to understand what was going wrong , I'm not a techy person , and now I find dashboard won't talk to the other card either . I can see these hotspots in my Virgin media hub connected list so the WiFi is working but Win 11 network doesn't find them , anybody got ideas on what I could try .

Thanks
Pete
AF6VN

Re: PI zero and Win 11

Post by AF6VN »

Note: the dashboard /runs/ on the R-Pi web server, it just displays in a browser window.

Have you ensured the R-Pis have different host names assigned to them! If both have the same (default) host name, it is random chance as to which one your router considers to be "correct".

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8OQG

Post by G8OQG »

Thanks for the reply

I know of the problems of having two hotspots on at the same time so I don't do it .
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

The router may still be holding a reference to the "not on" unit...

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8OQG

Post by G8OQG »

Thanks for the reply .

How would I tell if the router / hub is holding anything ?.
For info , the card that works was loaded using the computer when it was running Win 10 , the card that doesn't seem to work was loaded with the computer now running Win 11 , I'm wondering if Win 11 is writing to the card OK but can't read its own writing as it were .
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G8OQG wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Thanks for the reply .

How would I tell if the router / hub is holding anything ?.
For info , the card that works was loaded using the computer when it was running Win 10 , the card that doesn't seem to work was loaded with the computer now running Win 11 , I'm wondering if Win 11 is writing to the card OK but can't read its own writing as it were .
It depends upon the router -- most of them should have an admin web page you can connect to; I can't help with discovering what the URL for the router is.

Other than the R-Pi boot partition, which is FAT format, Windows is unable to read the EXT# file system(s) used by Linux.

HOW did you write the image to the cards?

Win32DiskImager is somewhat deprecated, most recommendations these days seem to favor using Balena Etcher. Etcher can even open/extract the image from a ZIP file, so one doesn't have to perform that step. Win32DiskImager is still required to make an image file FROM a card, if one needs that capability.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8OQG

Post by G8OQG »

The router has a "connected devices page" that only shows what I have connected .
With the router showing the problem HS / card , I find that Win 11 desktop network display does not show it , also I find my laptop does not show either but the laptop can still view desktop items .
I think now the problem is to do with Win 11 not the HS or card .