XLX and D-Star questions - educate me please

Help with D-Star related issues
AC1LC

XLX and D-Star questions - educate me please

Post by AC1LC »

I was poking around on my clubs website and found that we have a multimode digital repeater that I can probably hit. I'm running an Anytone 578 and use analog and DMR through my vertical antenna. But, I also have a Pi-star hotspot that I have set up so I can cross platform from DMR to YSF and TGIF. When I started looking at the information about the multimode repeater it lists XLX as a reflector. I think that means I can add Dstar to the modes that I can use through the hotspot but I don't totally understand the entire XLX setup and I know nothing about Dstar. I'm comfortable with the DMR talkgroups and YSF rooms...but how does Dstar work and how do I access them through the hotspot?

Better yet, anyone know of any websites that explains XLX and Dstar so a dinosaur can understand it?

Thanks
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: XLX and D-Star questions - educate me please

Post by M1DNS »

XLX allows input from DMR and YSF, it also inputs DSTAR mode as that was its original use case ( as an alternative dstar reflector)
There are mixed mode rooms but XLX doesnt nativly transcode all modes. So most xlx owners run an addition hardware addon that enables DSTAR users connected to an XLX reflector to talk to DMR /YSF users in the same room.

Each XLX can run upto 26 seperate rooms / TG's, ( AtoZ) you might find not all are able to run all mode, some rooms might be DMR YSF only or dstar only or used primarily by a particular interest group.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.