Which part of the Full Edit config distinguishes between Simplex and Duplex?

General support for the Pi-Star System
KK4GMU

Which part of the Full Edit config distinguishes between Simplex and Duplex?

Post by KK4GMU »

Relevant portions of my Simplex Full Edit config are listed below (except I already entered two different frequencies instead of one). I want to make changes to accommodate my new Duplex Hotspot.
There are (at least) three changes I need to make:

1. Does creating two frequencies create Duplex, or is there a specific entry that changes simplex to duplex in Full Edit?
2. My Simplex Hotspot has a Nextion display, and my Duplex has an OLED. I didn't notice "Display Type" in the Full Edit. Is it there?
3. Are there any changes to make to change to two (2) Time Slots?

Any more changes needed?

[General]
RptAddress=127.0.0.1
RptPort=62032
LocalAddress=127.0.0.1
LocalPort=62031
RuleTrace=0
Daemon=1
Debug=0
RFTimeout=20
NetTimeout=20

[Log]
DisplayLevel=0
FileLevel=1
FilePath=/var/log/pi-star
FileRoot=DMRGateway

[Voice]
Enabled=1
Language=en_GB
Directory=/usr/local/etc/DMR_Audio

[Info]
Enabled=1
RXFrequency=433.55000
TXFrequency=439.55000
Power=1
Latitude=29.08972
Longitude=82.06472
Height=0
Location="Ocala,Florida"
Description="USA"
URL=https://www.qrz.com/db/KK4GMU

[XLX Network]
Startup=950
Enabled=0
File=/usr/local/etc/XLXHosts.txt
Port=62030
Password=passw0rd
ReloadTime=60
Slot=2
TG=6
Base=64000
Relink=60
Debug=0
Id=3197357
UserControl=1
KN2TOD

Re: Which part of the Full Edit config distinguishes between Simplex and Duplex?

Post by KN2TOD »

Look at the edit for MMDVMHost, not DMR GW. But, generally, you should not have to edit any time slots at this time.
KK4GMU

Re: Which part of the Full Edit config distinguishes between Simplex and Duplex?

Post by KK4GMU »

I've got my new mobile hotspot partially set up. I need to do something to receive and transit. The point I got to so far is getting the Duplex hotspot communicating with my phone, Pi-Star and my radio with my home router NOT connected. :D . When I key my radio, both Pi-Star on the phone and the display on the hotspot acknowledge the tx.

My original home hotspot is simplex configured to use both Brandmeister and TGIF. I would like that same config ported over to the new mobile hotspot, but not quite sure of next steps. I know I also need some codeplug changes, e.g. separate zones for Duplex operation.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

KK4GMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:10 pm My original home hotspot is simplex configured to use both Brandmeister and TGIF. I would like that same config ported over to the new mobile hotspot, but not quite sure of next steps. I know I also need some codeplug changes, e.g. separate zones for Duplex operation.
Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to copy (drop) the config file you saved from your simplex setup into the the duplex setup and then, after booting your second hotspot back up, (re)edit the config for the duplexing.

Do you not remember what you did, or did you not save the pertinent info, when you set up the BM and TGIF originally? If so, simply retrace those steps in your new hotspot.
KK4GMU

Post by KK4GMU »

KN2TOD wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 pm
KK4GMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:10 pm My original home hotspot is simplex configured to use both Brandmeister and TGIF. I would like that same config ported over to the new mobile hotspot, but not quite sure of next steps. I know I also need some codeplug changes, e.g. separate zones for Duplex operation.
Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to copy (drop) the config file you saved from your simplex setup into the the duplex setup and then, after booting your second hotspot back up, (re)edit the config for the duplexing.
I used the Full Edit on my original Simplex setup. Are you referring to copying THAT and bringing it to the new mobile Duplex setup?
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

KK4GMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:11 pm
KN2TOD wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 pm I used the Full Edit on my original Simplex setup. Are you referring to copying THAT and bringing it to the new mobile Duplex setup?
No! I'm talking about taking the config file you saved from your simplex hotspot via the the backup/restore selection on the dashboard (and saved on your PC) and putting that file in the \boot directory of your second hotspot, then booting up that hotspot and continue on with your configuration of your second hotspot.

EVERYTHING you did in the way of configuring your original hotspot is saved in that file! Port it to your second hotspot via the \boot directory, while that image is still in the card reader of your PC and before you remove it and move it to the card slot on your second hotspot.

Simplex HS --> save config to PC --> copy save config on PC to SD card on the PC --> move SD card to new HS --> boot new HS and continue configuring.

That's a hell of lot simpler than cut-n-paste from PC.

You're not trying to configure your new HS via your phone, are you?
KK4GMU

Post by KK4GMU »

KK4GMU wrote: I used the Full Edit on my original Simplex setup. Are you referring to copying THAT and bringing it to the new mobile Duplex setup?
KNTOD wrote: No! I'm talking about taking the config file you saved from your simplex hotspot via the the backup/restore selection on the dashboard (and saved on your PC) and putting that file in the \boot directory of your second hotspot, then booting up that hotspot and continue on with your configuration of your second hotspot.

You're not trying to configure your new HS via your phone, are you?
I'll follow whichever (sometimes vague, conflicting, but mostly beyond my comprehension) advice makes the most sense. :mrgreen: I can neither confirm nor deny. :| And besides that, I'm old. ;) So, where is the "\boot directory of ...[my] second hotspot?" I haven't a clue.

And just wondering: Was the Pi-Star site down last night for a few hours in the US or is my connection "self-healing?" I ask because I couldn't connect my main hotspot to the Pi-Star web site last night, and this morning it was up and running fine - I did nothing to fix it.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

KK4GMU wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:21 pm And just wondering: Was the Pi-Star site down last night for a few hours in the US or is my connection "self-healing?" I ask because I couldn't connect my main hotspot to the Pi-Star web site last night, and this morning it was up and running fine - I did nothing to fix it.
Your hotspot(s) go "down" for "maintenance" every night (assuming you leave them on overnight); the system checks for updates and downloads (refreshes) a variety of files, including DMR id lists, reflector lists, host files, etc. Happens world-wide to every Pi-Star that is up and running at the time, usually somewhere (roughly) between 2-4am local time.
I'll follow whichever (sometimes vague, conflicting, but mostly beyond my comprehension) advice makes the most sense. :mrgreen: I can neither confirm nor deny. :| And besides that, I'm old. ;) So, where is the "\boot directory of ...[my] second hotspot?" I haven't a clue.
The \boot drive is visible when you have the SD card mounted in your PC - the SD card from your second hotspot - removed from the hotspot and inserted in the card reader on the PC. (I'm assuming you are using a Windows-based PC for this).

On your PC, you copy the previously saved config file from the directory where it was saved to the \boot directory on the mounted SD card using the standard Windows File Explorer. Once you've copied the file into that directory, you remove the SD card from your PC and insert back into your Hotspot. (Your config file should somewhere on your PC's C: drive; the SD card typically shows up as the F: drive but can be something else depending on particular setup)
KK4GMU

Post by KK4GMU »

KN2TOD wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:45 pm Your hotspot(s) go "down" for "maintenance" every night (assuming you leave them on overnight); the system checks for updates and downloads (refreshes) a variety of files, including DMR id lists, reflector lists, host files, etc. Happens world-wide to every Pi-Star that is up and running at the time, usually somewhere (roughly) between 2-4am local time.
My hotspot never went down. It was still registering Pi-star contacts on its display. However, the Pi-Star web dashboard would not load during that period but was fine the next AM. Anyway, it's good to know it was nothing I screwed up.

And thanks for all your other info and great help!