Mysterious trouble with Zumspot and Pi-star 1.1

General support for the Pi-Star System
M6VMO

Mysterious trouble with Zumspot and Pi-star 1.1

Post by M6VMO »

Hi everyone,
I have a Zumspot with a Pi-Star 1.1 inside which I bought from Martin Lynch a few years ago, and which I sucessfully used to use DMR and D-Star.
Then, all of a sudden, the device began acting weird, like the kights not lighting up like they used to, the display sometimes acting weirdly, until one day, it didn't power up at all, except for the orange light coming on and the green light below coming on for a while.

Also, Advanced IP Scanner recognises the device but cannot ping or reach it, nor can I open the device's web page.

I then contacted Martin Lynch, after all, I bought it from them, and I was willing to pay for a repair.
I got a, not so friendly reply, "no need to return it, just replace your PiZero WH, that should sort it".

So that's what I did, I bought a brand new Paspberry Pi and put it in, assembled the whole thing and put my SD card in.
Result? Exactly the same.

So, there's one place that has definitely lost my custom.

However, is there anyone who recognises this problem or can advise me further?

Thank you in advance.

AF6VN

Re: Mysterious trouble with Zumspot and Pi-star 1.1

Post by AF6VN »

"Pi-Star 1.1"? Pi-Star is a software suite, and the current R-Pi version of Pi-Star is 4.1.6!

My diagnostic approach would be to (remember to have the board powered down at start of each step -- don't pull the power cord if possible, use the "sudo shutdown" from a SSH session):
  • Remove the Zumspot, leaving /just/ the R-Pi
  • Download and configure the current R-Pi OS from the Raspberry-Pi Foundation (the current R-Pi OS installer has an advanced mode to preset user-name/password [they no longer ship with a default], SSH, WiFi, etc.)
  • Install the SD card with the R-Pi OS and attempt to boot
  • Presuming it boots, verify it appears on your network; If it doesn't boot, maybe check your power supply -- marginal power can cause all sorts of havoc
  • Once it is on the network, download the latest Pi-Star image and flash it to a different SD card, set up WPA_SUPPLICANT file for WiFi
  • Install the Pi-Star image SD card, verify booting (it may produce a number of error messages -- I've not tried booting a system when it didn't have the radio modem board on top); it should be able to get to a running R-Pi operating system stage (Pi-Star is two Debian versions behind the R-Pi Foundation).
  • If it boots, reattach the Zumspot board.
  • Boot, and configure the Pi-Star software (if it booted without the board, and won't boot with it, you have hardware problems)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M6VMO

Re: Mysterious trouble with Zumspot and Pi-star 1.1

Post by M6VMO »

Thank you AF6VN.

The problem seems to be solved now.

Only the big letters on the display (DMR, D-Star) seem to be a bit blocky.
Any idea of the correct resolution?
I know how to set that.

Thanks again.