PI-Star Firewall turn off?

All IP networking related issues
PA2ZH

PI-Star Firewall turn off?

Post by PA2ZH »

Hello, is there any way to disable the firewall in Pi-Star? Where do I turn off the FW?
73 PA2ZH
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: PI-Star Firewall turn off?

Post by M1DNS »

Most definatly no recommended.

If you need to open additional ports for other services look at adding those to 0S's IPtable.

eg adding tcp port 2000...

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 2000 -j ACCEPT

opening as an incoming port.

iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 2000 -j ACCEPT

Opening as an outgoing port.

Same can be done for udp ports, just substitute tcp as shown above.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
PA2ZH

Post by PA2ZH »

Thanks for the reply,

but I would have liked to turn it off. My router takes care of the firewall. Once again my question: How can I turn off the complete FW in Pi-Star?
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

PA2ZH wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:16 pm My router takes care of the firewall.
How does your router know what ports to open for Pi-Star? Are you porting the current Pi-Star firewall entries to your router?

And if you are copying those definitions to your own router, what's the harm in having a second firewall in place?

Devices such as Pi-Star that can connect to just about anything out there in the ether are best served having their own, built-in firewalls, regardless of what protection is offered upstream.
PA2ZH

Post by PA2ZH »

Hello, thanks for the answer...

but there are enough programs that show me ports and other things. IP sniffer, Net stat, ext. hardware FW etc. the ports are not a problem after all. I just do not want to have 2 firewalls. It must be possible to turn off the FW in Pi-Star completely. Why do we write here around it, that can be no secret, how the FW in Pi-Star is switched off?

73 PA2ZH
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

It's no secret. Pi-Star/Linux has its own firewall by design and just because you don't see a need for it in your particular situation, that is not a sufficient justification for overriding that design decision, that system feature, and disclosing technical details that would allow casual users to thwart that design/feature.

And, if you are familiar with all those tools and applications you mentioned, than surely you should already know how to turn off the firewall yourself without asking us to disclose something we don't condone.

Basically, you're asking us to assist you in breaking something we don't see as broken.
PA2ZH

Post by PA2ZH »

Thank you for the very good service and kind words.