MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
KK4GGL

Intermittent/no receive

Post by KK4GGL »

Anytone 878
MMdvm HS hat
Pi 3b+
pi-star 4.1.5

I have an intermittent receive from my pi-star. I've been using Hoseline to check receive. I can hear traffic on Hoseline, but not on the 878. PTT light is lit on pi-star when I hear traffic on Hoseline, I am assuming that means the hat is transmitting, but no sound on the 878. Once Ikey the radio, I hear traffic on the 878 but when the OP unkeys I rarely hear audio after that unless I key the 878. This has been on active conversations.

My SharkRF works normally. Neither are active at the same time.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and where to check.

EDIT: I added a static talkgroup in Brandmeister and performance improved. I removed the static group and radio reception got worse. In the dashboard I can see traffic being heard, but radio receive doesn't start for several seconds, if at all.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Intermittent/no receive

Post by M1DNS »

Run an update, upgrade to get you to 4.1.6 which has been out for over a yr now. See if that helps, but sounds like a misconfig between hotspot and radio.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KK4GGL

Post by KK4GGL »

I have updated to 4.1.6.
Right after boot, I am getting more audio from the radio, but it is still starting several seconds to a minute after the OP keyup.
I notice I am getting full bars on the antenna on the 878.
I am not sure what to check in the configuration.
KK4GGL

Post by KK4GGL »

Apparently the hotspot has a very low power output. I have sent it back.
DF1KZ

Post by DF1KZ »

imho it's not the output power of the hotspot but it's frequency. Did you check and adjust the RX/TX - offset e.g. by using MMDVMcal?
I had the same problem with my EuroNode, the offset was 2300Hz and after I entered it, everything works.
KK4GGL

Post by KK4GGL »

The signal appeared dead on using my 991a waterfall and on a broadcast engineer friend's scope. No idea what kind of scope, but he plugged in the frequency and it appeared dead on, and the signal level on both was very low compared to my OpenSpot 2.
I did not use MMDVMcal.