Changing WiFi AP on already-configured boot image

General support for the Pi-Star System
G8FKL

Changing WiFi AP on already-configured boot image

Post by G8FKL »

Having changed ISP and router, is it possible to change the access point SID and PSK on an already-configured boot image? I have lost my backup file and have no other record of my PiStar config other than the bootable SD card. I am using a MacBook and am unable to simply copy a revised wpa_supplicant file into the Boot folder, nor am I keen to start again from scratch.
TIA - GeoffT.
G8SEZ

Re: Changing WiFi AP on already-configured boot image

Post by G8SEZ »

Visit this page:

https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php

enter the information into the fields shown and submit.

Put the resulting output into a wpa_supplicant.conf file placed in the root directory of your SD card after shutting down the Pi, then re-insert the card and boot the Pi.

This will be moved into the correct place during the boot process.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8FKL

Post by G8FKL »

Thanks Brian.
I did try that but with the SD card image mounted on my MacBook I am unable to write anything into the root directory.
Maybe I should try Windows?
Geoff (GM8FKL)
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Ah, didn't know you only had an image file. ISO?

Can you not write a new card from the image and then mount that on the Mac?
--

Brian G8SEZ
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Having changed ISP and router, is it possible to change the access point SID and PSK on an already-configured boot image? I have lost my backup file and have no other record of my PiStar config other than the bootable SD card.
Ah ... if you have a bootable SD card, why not just boot it and then look for the Pi-Star-Setup access point?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

I'd think the Mac should, at least, show the small FAT partition on the SD card (it may or may not show the EXT3 or EXT4 partitions) -- THAT, if I recall, is the BOOT partition (containing the model specific device trees, etc.) and is where the generated wpa_supplicant information file should placed.

On booting the SD on an R-Pi, the Pi-Star software will look at the FAT partition for customized files -- like the wpa_supplicant information -- and will copy/update the real wpa_supplicant file that is on the EXT# partition.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8FKL

Post by G8FKL »

Thanks all for the help and advice. Finally tracked the writing to FAT partition problem down to a faulty uSD/SD card adaptor stuck in read only. Now fixed and connected to new Starlink router.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Thanks all for the help and advice. Finally tracked the writing to FAT partition problem down to a faulty uSD/SD card adaptor stuck in read only.
Thank YOU for letting us know: the one "solution" none of us thunk to pursue: Technology moves in mysterious ways. :D
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

G8FKL wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:57 pm Thanks all for the help and advice. Finally tracked the writing to FAT partition problem down to a faulty uSD/SD card adaptor stuck in read only. Now fixed and connected to new Starlink router.
Ah, yes, those little switches are rarely used but can fail despite that.
--

Brian G8SEZ