PiStar HotSpot question

General support for the Pi-Star System
W3LDR

PiStar HotSpot question

Post by W3LDR »

So as I am awaiting my DMR Radio and seeing I had 2 Pi Zero W just sitting in a desk drawer from old projects, Latnight I assemblem my first PiStar hotspot. I think I have everything set to use the TGIF Network.

Here is my question, Will I need a hotspot for every network, let say I want to access Brandmeister US and maybe a Brandmiester UK would i need 2 additional hot spots.

I guess the biggest quesiton is is the hotspots tied only to one network and thats the only chat groups you can access if they also are on that specific network.

Unfortunately I do not have a DMR just UHF VHF radios so I assume there is no real way to see is the hotspot is dectecting a RF signal without a DMR radio. I tried to key my frequency programmed in my hotspot just using simplex analog and did not see any activity in the dashboard. I know I would not be able to utilize the DMR side of things but assumed keying the fequesnct from a analog radio it would sow some sort of incoming signal received. Perhaps I am incorrect on how the hotspot operates..
KN2TOD

Re: PiStar HotSpot question

Post by KN2TOD »

Brandmeister is world-wide; you can connect to any Talk Group in the US or UK or elsewhere, all from one hotspot.
W3LDR

Post by W3LDR »

So if I also wanted to use lets say TGIF network would i need a second hotspot
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

No. Just reconfigure your existing HS to use DMRGateway. This gateway incorporates, can interconnect multiple networks, including Brandmeister and TGIF.

There's lot of docs out there showing how this is done. Here's one example <https://brara.org/BLOG/wp-content/uploa ... h-more.pdf>. But search further for other examples/explainations on setting up TGIF access.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

--

Brian G8SEZ
iz5wga

Post by iz5wga »

One of my hotspots is simplex and on RPI 0 W.
Here is its configuration with BrandMeister + XLX + DMRplus + FreeDMR + TGIF --> https://pastebin.com/EXcxspg7
To call BM --> plain dial (to call tg 222 just dial 222)
To call XLX and switch module --> TG 6 to talk and private calls to connect to modules (64001 to 64009)
To call DMRPlus --> You have to fill 7 digits starting with 5, and use 0 as filler. That is: to connect to Reflector 4001 you have to dial 5004001. To query status: 5005000, to call TG 9 you have to call 5000009)
To call FreeDMR --> Same thing as before, but you have to use 8 as first digit (i.e. TG 3955 you have to call 8003955, and tg 22220 you have to call 8022220).
To call TGIF --> As previous 2, same thing, but 1st digit is a 4.

If you want to disable one of more of them, just change "enabled=1" into "enabled=0" in the relative section.

Everything on TS 2.

Remember: if you use DMRGateway style (that is change the DMR gateway EXPERT FULL), always use this method: if you change anything else, these configurations will be overwritten. If you have to change, let's say, the frequency of the hotspot, COPY the dmrgateway section in your clipboard, change the frequency, save, then paste again into the expert section what you copied and save again.