General questions on capabilities

General support for the Pi-Star System
N0TPD

General questions on capabilities

Post by N0TPD »

I understand that the answer may depend on software/hardware combinations, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

My primary portable is P25. However the DMR network is much more expansive.

What I'd like to do is multi-fold.

1. Have GPS hooked up to the Pistar/hotspot and report to APRS-IS servers.
2. Be able to take GPS encoded P25 packets from portable that's transmitted through hotspot to APRS-IS servers.
3. Be able to use P25 portable bridged to DMR. Eg Hotspot tx/rx P25 but is on DMR talkgroups, and be able to dynamically change them, so if I transmit on TG 1234 using P25 that it knows to route to TG 1234 on Brandmeister (or whatever current servers are) effectively patching local DMR repeaters to P25 portable, when actively linked.
4. Scanning of multiple talkgroups from server side, and retransmit those TGs to the portable based on a priority list. The portable supports 'talkback' scan, so any TG it receives, it can select between replying on THAT talkgroup, or the selected talkgroup, much like voting.
5. Being able to connect to multiple servers simultaneously, or
6. Barring #5, have multiple Pi-star set ups on same freq, albeit connected to different servers, that will be smart enough to not TX on a busy frequency. Eg hotspot 1 is transmitting from Server 1, so hotspot 2 that's connected to server 2 sees a busy channel and doesn't TX blindly.

What, if any of that, is currently possible, with minimal coding?

Any suggestions on SBC/HAT that would accomplish the above? I was looking at the OrangePi zero 3, since there's an existing build for it, and it's sitting around the $30-50 price point, but am definitely open to options. I am a little concerned about the horsepower that it has though, being a basic board.

All the Chinese options out there with no documentation and poor implementation and no FW upgrading seems to be something I want to avoid.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: General questions on capabilities

Post by M1DNS »

6: The quickest way to earn yourself a ban from the DMR networks is to have multiple DMR hotspots running on the same freq.

Your creating a bridge where traffic from different networks get passed to each network.

NEVER EVER run two DMR installs on the same freq if connected to different networks without something in place that prevents bridging. (Meaning what you ask isnt possible, if these preventions are put in place)

Also be mindful of the other things you mentioned which could also create bridges. Server/reflector/network owners dont generally want their users spamming them with traffic from other servers/reflectors/networks. (With exception of cross modes, but not if they bridge to other networks)

There also is no DMR to p25 ability as they use different codecs. So no dice, there also.

If you swap out ur p25 mobile for a DMR radio, then most all what you want is available in pistar now using dmrgateway.
Which can be setup on the pistar expert config page.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N0TPD

Post by N0TPD »

I was planning on running duplex - so they wouldn't be crosslinked. Input in would be different frequencies.

I was under the impression P25<->DMR could be bridged. I haven't messed with my hotspot in about a year but I vaguely remember a crossmode setting,
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

N0TPD wrote:
I was under the impression P25<->DMR could be bridged. I haven't messed with my hotspot in about a year but I vaguely remember a crossmode setting,

Ok yeah maybe? Just checked here and looks like p252dmr is a thing...
https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_CM

Didnt think it was poss. given P25 is imbe (which will cross to YSF wide)

and DMR, NXDN & YSF are ambe. Which can cross between one another in various ways.

I still dont think youll be able to do the multi server type setup you want though. Which you could if you used a DMR mobile.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.