M: 2023-10-22 01:17:24.894 XLX, Linking to reflector XLX295 B

With Voice turned on in /etc/dmrgateway you get voice messages
For those two log entry lines

[Voice]
Enabled=1
Language=en_US
Directory=/usr/local/etc/DMR_Audio

You change reflector by sending 68XXX where XXX is your Reflector Number
You send 64XXX where xxx=001 for Module A, 64002 for module B etc.

Communications is on TG6
VE3RD

Re: Pi-Star DMR Net Turns Red and Won't Connect to Private XLX Reflector

Post by VE3RD »

Read This
Much better explanation than what I provided.
https://www.k2ie.net/blog/2019/04/22/pi ... or-xlx020/
Last edited by VE3RD on Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

I am sorry. I know nothing about the WPS system you talk about. However there are 4 D-Star protocols and the Pi-Star DMR->XLX does not handle all of them. The ones I am familiar with are REF,XRF,XLX, and DCS. For instance. I connect to XLX103. This does not use XLX protocol and as such pi-star XLX will not work. For this I use an openspot3 that will connect to XLX103 with DCS protocol.

You really need to know what protocol your private reflector is using and find the appropriate method of connecting.

Phil VE3RD
KN4BQX

Post by KN4BQX »

Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. The other system I mentioned is WPSD, essentially the next generation of Pi-Star software (https://w0chp.radio/wpsd/). I downloaded and installed this just a few days ago. In my limited time with it, I am very happy with the updated features; although it is a tad slower than Pi-Star, probably due to the higher processing requirements of the new features. One of the features I am very happy with is the ability to direct-connect DMR to XLX, without having to use the DMR2NXDN function; this makes initial setup easier and faster.

As for the protocols, I am using DMR exclusively. I made both the public and private XLX reflectors myself, both from Raspberry Pi Zeros and both wearing the MMDVM hat.

I have been running them a the same time and on the same network; although in my troubleshooting of this issue, I temporarily turned off the public XLX reflector. I've been using both the MMDVMs to try and connect, and to test if I can hear my voice over the reflector and through the other radio. I can successfully connect to the public one; the private one is configured exactly the same, but is private reflector has the "CallingHome" is disabled, which means it is not publicly published in the XLX reflectors list and does not auto-populate in the XLX and DMR Host files. To enable the connection, my reading on the web and from N5AMD's website (https://n5amd.com/digital-radio-how-tos ... reflector/) note that you need to manually add in the reflector details for Pi-Star to know there is a reflector at that public IP address. In my testing, I want to say I had a short period of time where I was fully successful with this, but have not had success since.

Still not sure why the MMDVM connection isn't showing on the XLX reflector log.

-Nick, KN4BQX
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

I am no expert on D-star, just a newbie myself. I have leaned a few things in the last week as I got myself onto several reflectors using different protocols.

You mentioned a couple of things that have me puzzled.
1)
KN4BQX wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 am I am very happy with is the ability to direct-connect DMR to XLX, without having to use the DMR2NXDN function
Pleas explain how you were using DMR2NXDN

2)
KN4BQX wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 am I am using DMR exclusively. I made both the public and private XLX reflectors myself
XLX is D-Star and requires the use of at least one of the D-Star protocols(REF, XRF, XLX, DCS). the Pi-Star XLX is predominantly XLX protocol. I had to use an openspot3 to connect to XLS103 with DCS protocol.

XLX in pi-star is basically a DMR to D-Star crossover using the DMRGateway.

To use pi-star XLX correctly you must use the DMRGateway, which is built into the pi-star system. Does your WPSD system have this as well. If you look at the /etc/dmrgateway file, you will see a large section for XLX setup, The starting reflector and module. The 64XXX and 68XXX commands are are handled by the DMRGateway.

The XLX configuration, DMR Configuration Section in the Pi-Star Configuration page drops the data down into the DMRGateway config file /etc/dmrgateway

I would strongly suggest that you get it working on pi-star/DMRGateway and then move it over to your WPSD system. I can probably help you get it started on p-star, but not WPSD as I know nothing about it.

Phil VE3RD
Last edited by VE3RD on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

Hostfilesupdate will just make changes to existing entries. However if you wish to add an entry, create a script as follows to run after Hostfilesupdate.

Create a Script with the following code

if [ -f "/root/XLXHosts.txt" ]; then
cat /root/XLXHosts.txt >> /usr/local/etc/XLXHosts.txt
fi

This will add entries in /root/XLXHosts.txt into the bottom of /usr/local/etc/XLXHosts.txt and keep it up-to-date.

Phil VE3RD
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

WPSD shall be considered off topic for this group. This resource is provided by Andy and the topic should reflect his software, not another developers modified release of pistar.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.