Not able to configure eth0 and wlan0 simultaneously

All IP networking related issues
KK0DJ

Not able to configure eth0 and wlan0 simultaneously

Post by KK0DJ »

Greetings fellow PiStar folks...
I presently have four pi-stars. All are using ethernet for networking. I'd like to be able to quickly turn off the ethernet port and turn on the wifi port for testing or moving the unit around. So far I have not been able to get both to work at the same time. So my question is simply was the code written to only allow one interface to pass traffic at a time? I wasn't able to find this out in the documentation or the forum here... but I may have missed it! Thank you ahead of time
Dennis
KK0DJ
KN2TOD

Re: Not able to configure eth0 and wlan0 simultaneously

Post by KN2TOD »

In simple terms, you can be connected to both eth0 and wlan0 simultaneously but only one of them will be used in any given situation - the system will not automatically switch ("on the fly") between the two if one should disconnect or traffic gets interrupted while in operation. Although there are various ways to reconnect to the external world if such should happen, usually the easiest and fastest way is to simply reboot.

More specifically, you can be connected to wifi and subsequently plug in your ethernet, at which point you can automatically get into your HS via SSH and to your dashboard via a browser (assuming you can determine the ip address), but your HS's digital traffic will continue through the wifi. The reverse is a little more involved: starting up a wifi connection while connected via ethernet is not automatic but has to be initiated via SSH or via the wifi section in the config panel.

In either case, getting your system to switch its connection to the other source for the external world (i.e. BM) then involves recycling your configuration (i.e. "apply changes") or initiating a reboot from the dashboard or from the command line.