M17 mode HAT firmware support

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
G8SEZ

M17 mode HAT firmware support

Post by G8SEZ »

Now that 4.1.18 has some M17 support, is there a good reason to install the v1.6.x firmware in the various HSHATs?

I realise it may be a little early.
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: M17 mode HAT firmware support

Post by M1DNS »

Hold off at this time. There's more to do to fully incorporate the needs of that f/w update. As of now, you can use pistar with a m17 equipped radio.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Yes, I realise that, which is why I was asking.

My HATs seem to all have STM32F1xx processors, and G4KLX appears to be saying that they won't work at the current serial baud rate.

I am changing all my Pi Zero W boards to Pi Zero 2 W but of course the HAT needs to go faster in some circumstances. I'm just not certain what those circumstances are, maybe if running multiple modes simultaneously?
--

Brian G8SEZ
AC8OB

Post by AC8OB »

I've just seen your post Brian after posing a similar question. What modems do you have, I'm using the MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat clones, currently with v1.5.2 and all with STM32F10*.

I agree with the 2W upgrades, it makes a noticeable difference over the W when using the dashboard interface. the 3A is also useful as it's the same footprint as the dual hat boards.
Nick - G4IRX - AC8OB
IO92JV - EN70VN
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

AC8OB wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:15 pm I've just seen your post Brian after posing a similar question. What modems do you have, I'm using the MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat clones, currently with v1.5.2 and all with STM32F10*.

I agree with the 2W upgrades, it makes a noticeable difference over the W when using the dashboard interface. the 3A is also useful as it's the same footprint as the dual hat boards.
I bought one 2W ages ago, then found that supply was very difficult. I have been able to buy 2 individually over the last couple of months, now to solder the HAT headers and swap them into my remaining Pi Zero based hotspots.

I have 3 of the HS_HAT clones based on the DB9MAT/DF2ET boards which are the same footprint as a Pi Zero. I also have one dual HAT on a Pi 2B. Currently they all have v1.5.2 firmware, I thought I'd wait to update them until it can easily be done from within Pi-Star. Once I have that I may spend some time modifying a radio for M17.

I am assuming that at some point STM32F4xx or STM32F7xx based HAT boards will appear, I suppose it depends on how much people want to run multiple modes at once. If the STM32F1xx boards can manage to run just one mode then it's less of an issue, like you I am not clear about the true situation on this point but I am very happy that Andy MWZ has found the time and enthusiasm to begin updating Pi-Star to the current OS and MMDVM code.
--

Brian G8SEZ
AC8OB

Post by AC8OB »

I've managed to build some firmware from a link Andy posted, although it's not resolved my YSF issue. There's also an on-line builder that produces V1.6.0 (but you have to know which switches to turn on!) viewtopic.php?p=24018#p24018. I just cloned the Github then built it on Ubuntu 22.04.

I'm sure most users are waiting for the user-friendly option.
Nick - G4IRX - AC8OB
IO92JV - EN70VN
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

AC8OB wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:16 pm I've managed to build some firmware from a link Andy posted, although it's not resolved my YSF issue. There's also an on-line builder that produces V1.6.0 (but you have to know which switches to turn on!) viewtopic.php?p=24018#p24018. I just cloned the Github then built it on Ubuntu 22.04.

I'm sure most users are waiting for the user-friendly option.
I'm in no rush for now, but will play with M17 at some point.

YSF is always picky, the problem is related to the packet structure, you only need a few errors at the start after the sync word and it falls over, Fusion should have better FEC protection for these bits. That seems to be why minor frequency offsets cause so much trouble. Is there a reference adjustment in the radio you are using? I have an FT-3D, there is a section in the technical supplement that describes adjustment of the reference frequency against a frequency counter measuring at 440MHz, there's a special menu to get at this. The tolerance is less than 0.25ppm, which is way less than any ageing spec or even setting tolerance on a TCXO in a 'cheap' product, hence the provision of an adjustment.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

User friendly mode is here, see this topic: viewtopic.php?t=4803
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Will STM32F1xx modem boards support higher serial speeds than 115200? I know that they're not fast enough for FM, but OK with digital modes?
--

Brian G8SEZ