4.2.0 Beta feedback

General support for the Pi-Star System
DW7GDL

Re: 4.2.0 Beta feedback

Post by DW7GDL »

I tested it with YSF, YSF2DMR and POCSAG. All are working. I haven't noticed any glitches or gotchas or any weird behavior. I'm using a generic Zumspot-style simplex hotspot with a Pi Zero W and STM-32 MMDVM_HS GPIO hat and OLED type 3.
73 de Jay DW7GDL
EU2AU

Post by EU2AU »

1. After updating pi-star to version 4.1.8 and higher on raspberry pi, FM did not work when using MMDVM modem protocol 1. When using DMR there are many beers.
Tags appeared - it is solved by replacing the old files mmdvmhost, mmdvmhost_adafruit, mmdvmcal from the old pi-star 4.1.7.

2. Is it possible to add an FM switch in MMDVMHost Configuration > Setting where DMR mods and others are?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

The fm side of things hasn't been fully integrated as yet. Fm isn't a mode that hotspots can run and pistars main focus has always been with that of a hotspot user.

If u've not updated ur boards f/w yet to 1.6.1 try that as its needed for the newer mmdvmhost were using in these latest pistar releases. you might want to also make changes to the uart speed in the mmdvmhost expert section to see if ur board caters to (uses) the higher speeds.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G960F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AC8OB

Post by AC8OB »

M1DNS wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 pm If u've not updated ur boards f/w yet to 1.6.1 try that as its needed for the newer mmdvmhost were using in these latest pistar releases. you might want to also make changes to the uart speed in the mmdvmhost expert section to see if ur board caters to (uses) the higher speeds.
This doesn't work above 115200 for v1.6.1 with my HS_Dual_Hat. It may be hard-coded in the modem firmware as Config.h is set for

Code: Select all

#define SERIAL_REPEATER_BAUD 115200
Nick - G4IRX - AC8OB
IO92JV - EN70VN
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

EU2AU wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:40 pm 1. After updating pi-star to version 4.1.8 and higher on raspberry pi, FM did not work when using MMDVM modem protocol 1. When using DMR there are many beers.
Tags appeared - it is solved by replacing the old files mmdvmhost, mmdvmhost_adafruit, mmdvmcal from the old pi-star 4.1.7.

2. Is it possible to add an FM switch in MMDVMHost Configuration > Setting where DMR mods and others are?
Please see the note about FM here: https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVM/blob/mas ... 69C1-L74C1
FM really isn't supported at 115200 any more, you need to use faster serial.

What board are you running? MMDVMHost will detect serial at 115200/protocol 1 and disable FM (you will see this in the MMDVMHost log).
I have added the legacy branch (see announcements) to help anyone that has a need to run the older code.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
DL4YCC

Post by DL4YCC »

Error in the D-Star Config - Last letter in the DStar callsign - D-Star Configuration RTP1 Callsign:

the last letter after my call sign always changes from "F" allways to the letter "B".
You just need to set the mode from DStar to DMR and back to Dstar. And now the Letter ist anytime "B"

Info for Andy.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

Just cant seem to get my Nextion screen to work after updating hat to 1.6.1.

I have a Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2 with my Nextion screen wired directly to the hat (as in no USB dongle). My Nextion keeps saying that the driver is not loaded. That did seem to be the case when I checked, so I downloaded the latest driver which was a few minor revs better than what I originally had. If I run the check install script it says that the driver is there and loaded but my Nextion screen keeps saying its not found.

I am suspecting something simple that I am overlooking would fix me, but am stuck. I have tried everything I can think of but so far nada.

Help is ALWAYS appreciated! TY Andy!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

DL4YCC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:36 pm Error in the D-Star Config - Last letter in the DStar callsign - D-Star Configuration RTP1 Callsign:

the last letter after my call sign always changes from "F" allways to the letter "B".
You just need to set the mode from DStar to DMR and back to Dstar. And now the Letter ist anytime "B"

Info for Andy.
Is that new in 4.2.x ? I have not changed any of the code around that. The lat letter is supposed to designate the band, A = 23cm, B = 70cm, C = 2M, D= 1.25M (or sometimes Data access).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
DL4YCC

Post by DL4YCC »

Hello, I can't say if it's new! I have FW 4.20beta on all hotspots.
I think it's not new! The problem has existed for a long time.
The letter should not always change to "B".
Best regards
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

The standard for D-Star is that 70cm band = "B", this is why the dashboard does that.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ