4.3.0 Beta feedback

General support for the Pi-Star System
PA5WIL

Re: 4.3.0 Beta feedback

Post by PA5WIL »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:40 pm
PA5WIL wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:18 am Backup is not a zip file. All the file are in a map. I make a zip file from that map, but restore is gives failure,
Backup file is a map? Just exported the config from a 4.3.0 build and I get the expected Zip file output.
I tried again. In browser Safari is saves in a map. When i use the browser chrome is saves as a zip
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

PA5WIL wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:29 pm
MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:40 pm
PA5WIL wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:18 am Backup is not a zip file. All the file are in a map. I make a zip file from that map, but restore is gives failure,
Backup file is a map? Just exported the config from a 4.3.0 build and I get the expected Zip file output.
I tried again. In browser Safari is saves in a map. When i use the browser chrome is saves as a zip
Safari has an auto-decompress option for Zip files, you will need to disable that to stop it from trying to be "helpful".
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W1TG

Post by W1TG »

Beta Pi-Star_RPi_V4.3.0_08-Feb-2024
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5, DvMega Single Band FW HR3.26, Hardwired Network

Boot - Unconfig page came up. After a short period of time the interface became unresponsive while I was working on config/update. After a couple of rounds of this it seemed as though Auto AP/uPNP may have played a role. Solution for me was to disable both and apply the change immediately upon entry to the configuration page after boot.

Once I made that change I was able to restore a backup config from 4.2.0 and then work on updates from ssh. This brought in the most recent changes to solve issues other beta testers encountered and reported. After a few repeats of pistar-update (until nothing new came up) and a reboot everything appeared to be functional.

Pi-Star:4.3.0 / Dashboard: 20240209 / 6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8

Tested RF Commands - local echo, ID, Disconnect, IP, 8Ball, linked to echo module on a reflector, disconnect and link to REF "C" module and qso with a station. All appears to be working as it was in 4.2.0.

Browser Interface - Firefox 122.0.1 (64-bit) Appears to work as intended with Service Status info, D-Star Link info, D-Star link Manager, Gateway & Local Activity along with all the "Status Info" in the left columns viewed from the Admin page. Successfully downloaded a config backup. The browser interface allowed control of the link manager and all worked as expected.

Configuration Page - General Configuration - System Time Zone: The time zone list gets double columned for many entries appearing to be some sort of a formatting issue behind the scenes. I used raspi-config to set and confirm localization entries for the OS.

Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0, DvMega Single Band FW HR3.26, Hardwired Network
Pi-Star:4.3.0 / Dashboard: 20240209 / 6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8

Imaged a new card and moved DvMega hardware into a Pi 5 4Gb. I used a backup config from the Pi 4 4.3.0 to restore settings. Following the rest of the process above on the Pi4 everything appears to work for me.

Unrelated to the image and it's operation, the DvMega board sits on the GPIO pins of the Pi and shadows over the top of the cpu and other heat generating elements. The Pi 5 is running 10-15 degrees hotter than the Pi4 was in the same environment. I have it in a Pi 5 foundation case, but can't use the built-in fan or cover with the DvMega sitting on the GPIO pins. Adopters of the Pi5 using a DvMega board will need to do some research and get creative to use this combination in a real world or mobile setting.

Congratulations Andy on the great work! I appreciate it.

Tom - W1TG
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

W1TG wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:40 pm Boot - Unconfig page came up. After a short period of time the interface became unresponsive while I was working on config/update. After a couple of rounds of this it seemed as though Auto AP/uPNP may have played a role. Solution for me was to disable both and apply the change immediately upon entry to the configuration page after boot.
Interesting, I'll look at this in a few mins, I've since found and fixed a few more bugs that will require a new image to sort out, this one will be pre-updated too of course, so that should help with some of the other bugs.

Timezone doubling - I'll look into that too.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
DW7GDL

Post by DW7GDL »

First, Andy, I want to thank you for your continuing support and development of Pi-Star.

There seem to be multiple issues that cause Pi-Star 4.3.0 beta to hang when I apply configuration settings.

1. I had to run sudo raspbi-config to set my locale and time zone. My memory's like the old grey mare, "she ain't what she used to be," but I don't recall having to do this in 4.2.0. I think that setting the time zone in Pi-Star's configuration was all I needed to do. Failing to set locale and/or time zone in raspbi-config and only setting it in Pi-Stars's configuration would cause the failure to save configuration changes.

2. Selecting a (YSF2DMR)CCS7/DMR ID to anything from the pick list causes the issue too. (I haven't tested them all, actually, just 01 and 02, because I'm getting tired of all the factory resets, so I'm assuming that selecting any value here causes config changes to not be saved and Pi-Star 4.3.0 to hang when I try.)

3. Selecting a DMR Master from the pick list the Brandmeister Asia gateway, causes the failure.

It's now after 6PM and I have been testing 4.3.0 for several hours and I'm starting to forget the last config change I made that causes a failure to save it.. I'm sure there are many other configuration changes that cause the problem but perhaps this information is enough to identify the actual root cause. (I sure hope so, I'm weary of doing all these factory resets. and reconfigurations of general settings and my radio/modem type. But I will contunue if needed: after all, that's what beta testing's all about. "I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.")

BTW, in MMDVMHost Configuration I have YSF, YSF2DMR and POCSAG enabled as I don't have a DMR, D-Star, M17 or NXDN radio, just a Yaesu FT-70DR HT. I have a DAPNET and POCSAG-compatible pager en route though.
73 de Jay DW7GDL
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

For some other reference (compared to above) Andy, I flashed yesterdays image, restored my backup, reset passwords, APRS, TZ and keyboard and all works great!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KG6RUT wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:24 pm For some other reference (compared to above) Andy, I flashed yesterdays image, restored my backup, reset passwords, APRS, TZ and keyboard and all works great!
Thank you, I think we have most of the major bugs squashed in 4.3.0 now....

Working on nextion.py python3 conversion now (tested it here OK so far).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
DW7GDL

Post by DW7GDL »

KG6RUT wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:24 pm For some other reference (compared to above) Andy, I flashed yesterdays image, restored my backup, reset passwords, APRS, TZ and keyboard and all works great!
The question is, do you have the same hardware as I do, and do you also have YSF, YSF2DMR and POCSAG with DAPNET enabled and configured as I do?
73 de Jay DW7GDL
PA5WIL

Post by PA5WIL »

After the update this morning the nextion display is not working anymore. I do not know if the problem is my tty adapter or other problem in the hardware.
PA5WIL

Post by PA5WIL »

PA5WIL wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:01 am After the update this morning the nextion display is not working anymore. I do not know if the problem is my tty adapter or other problem in the hardware.
I have uses an other tty adapter and cables. No effect. Pi-star is working only it seems that the nextion driver is not loaded.