4.2.1 Upgrade Success

General support for the Pi-Star System
AE5PL

4.2.1 Upgrade Success

Post by AE5PL »

I am running a RPi 2B+ with a Zumspot card and a TNC-Pi supporting a D-STAR hotspot, APRS IGate, and Davis Vantage weather station. I was on 4.1.7 and also running DStarMonitor to provide D-PRS IGate, APRS IGate, and APRS weather station plus acting as a local APRS server. This has been running successfully for a number of years.

I upgraded to 4.2.1 yesterday and it went relatively smoothly. I used tar to make a gz copy of my weather station and DStarMonitor software, used SFTP to copy that file along with the .service files created and iptables.rules changes to my PC, backed up my pi-star configuration, and I was ready to upgrade. I burned a new MicroSD (32GB) (Onn brand from Walmart, I got the 2 pack so I have one for 4.3 when it is more stable). Installed the new SD, updated via the pi-star UI, uploaded my backed up configuration, and rebooted.

I ran pistar-expand which extended the partition but did NOT extend the file system. I ran resize2fs /dev/<partiition 2 name> (in my case, /dev/mmcblk0p2) which did extend the /dev/root file system to 28 GB.

At this point, the Pi-Star hotspot was up but I still had to restore the APRS side of the world. I had made a copy of /etc/ax25/axports so I had the port definition for the APRS RF port. First I installed (using apt install) libax25, ax25-tools, ax25-apps which gave me the tools necessary to talk to the Linux kernel ax25 support. I installed default-jdk which installed OpenJDK 11 JDK for my Java apps.

I then restored my application folders by uploading the tar.gz file to the /tmp directory (RAM) and expanding it from there to the /opt directories they came from. I reinstalled the .service files in /etc/systemd/system (requires a daemon-reload and then enabling each service), opened up ports in the firewall for DStarMonitor, and rebooted.

All done! All working! The only thing I found that didn't work as expected was pistar-expand only extended the partition, not the file system. That was not insurmountable and all is working well now. Thought I would pass along some good news!

73, Pete AE5PL
Last edited by AE5PL on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: 4.2.1 Upgrade Success

Post by M1DNS »

Its pistar-expand
not pistar-extend.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G960F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

Edited/corrected post. Sorry, was running from memory which gets weaker every day ;)
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AE5PL wrote:Edited/corrected post. Sorry, was running from memory which gets weaker every day ;)
I had a thought it might be a typo, but replied just in case that was the command you were actually using Image

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G960F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

AE5PL wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 pm I ran pistar-expand which extended the partition but did NOT extend the file system. I ran resize2fs /dev/<partiition 2 name> (in my case, /dev/mmcblk0p2) which did extend the /dev/root file system to 28 GB.

73, Pete AE5PL
Thank you for letting me know, the expand script has been fixed, I'll re-spin the image later.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

Yeah, not critical as the workaround was relatively easy once I figured out to use the partition path instead of /dev/root with resize2fs.

Thanks! Upgrading has not increased CPU load appreciably so is nice to be on a more recent distro. Will keep an eye on the 4.3.0 progress...