Modem either works with HT, or with Brand Meister, but not both.

General support for the Pi-Star System
KK7BCO

Modem either works with HT, or with Brand Meister, but not both.

Post by KK7BCO »

Hello,
Setting up a personal hotspot may not be the ideal way to learn and understand DMR, but that's the backward approach I have chosen.

I have one of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/115719226932?m ... media=COPY) on a Rpi Zero W. I have tried it with "stock" Pi-zero and currently have the WPSD version running. I have two SD cards can can jump between them. My problem is identical on both.

I have set up a call to Parrot 9990 on my HT.

Via SSH I see that I have an MMDVM_HS_DUAL_HAT-v1.5.2 20201108 14.7456 Dual ADF7021 fw by CA6JAU

What I am finding is that if I select the MMDVM_DUAL_HAT (DB9MAT, DF2ET & DO7EN) modem, Brand Meister is happy and says my device is "verified". However if I kerchunk Parrot, the screen does not light up, and the DMR beacon does not light. If however I choose the MMDVM_HS_DUAL_BAND modem, it looses connection with Brand Meister, however a kerchunk lights up the screen and the DMR beacon.

I have tested all of the GPIO options and found that there are several which work each way, but none that will work with the HT and Brand Meister.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments
mmdvm.jpg
mmdvm.jpg (130.64 KiB) Viewed 444 times
KG6RUT

Re: Modem either works with HT, or with Brand Meister, but not both.

Post by KG6RUT »

pretty sure you need to select this as your modem as that is the same as what I have....but I updated to 1.6.1
Radio.jpg
Radio.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 442 times
KK7BCO

Post by KK7BCO »

Hello,
I just updated the firmware, as you suggest. Tried it with what seems like the correct modem config, and the one you suggest also. Both work for BrandMeister, but do not show anything on screen or on the dashboard with a kerchunk.

If it weren't for the fact that I can get it to do one thing or the other, I'd have thought that the unit was actually defective. Currently it is just frustrating.

Thanks for your input so far.
KK7BCO

Post by KK7BCO »

Well,
Is it always *this* hard to get a hotspot, or DMR working?

I think I shall shelf the project for another while. There are other things that I feel more pressing.

I have tried BrandMeister and FreeDMR now. I have found that the color code 3 does not work, 1 does. And by work I mean that if I key up with a TG/Contact that is configured in a certain way, the display on the MMDVM shows my call and that I am connected as DMR, but it won't get the call out to the DMR network. I have only been trying to call Parrot 9990.

I am tempted to just purchase a different MMDVM hat, but the likelihood is that the problem is not the hardware.