2.4 or 5ghz ?

Help setting up WiFi
W1WKW

2.4 or 5ghz ?

Post by W1WKW »

quick question, i am running pistar mmdvm 4.1.8 and in my wifi config on this pistar i noticed it is at 2.4ghz, is there anyway to get it @ 5ghz ? if so how. here is what my wifi config shows now
Attachments
pistarwifi.png
pistarwifi.png (29.92 KiB) Viewed 154 times
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: 2.4 or 5ghz ?

Post by M1DNS »

W1WKW wrote:quick question, i am running pistar mmdvm 4.1.8 and in my wifi config on this pistar i noticed it is at 2.4ghz, is there anyway to get it @ 5ghz ? if so how. here is what my wifi config shows now
Not all Pi's have 5ghz wifi. It only shows if ur Pi supports it.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Generally speaking, Pi's will connect to the best/strongest signal/channel.

You can probe your system's status with these commands:

Code: Select all

iwlist wlan0 channel

Code: Select all

sudo iw dev wlan0 scan 2>&1 | grep -e "SSID:\|associate\|signal:" | sed "/associated/ {N;s/BSS.*\n\(.*\)/\1 */g}" | sed "/signal:/ {N;s/\tsignal: \(.* dBm.*\)\n\tSSID: \(.*\)/\1\tSSID: \2/g}" | sort
The second command will denote the chosen channel (frequency) and its related signal strength.

So, for routers offering a single SSID covering 2G/5G, the Pi and the router will negotiate for the best connection.

But if you want to force it to 2G or 5G, you have two choices:

1) set up your router to offer two SSID's, one for 2G and one for 5G, and then select the desired connection in the config accordingly, or

2) manipulate the network={..} blocks in the wpa_supplicant to add a "freq_list=..." line.

Both involve a bit of work but in either case, it ties you down to specific access points, and limits the mobility of your hotspot if you move it around to a variety of locales, or frequently reconfigure your wifi connection specs.

You're better off leaving it to the Pi and router to make the best connection: the transmission speeds and amount of data being transferred are not so great that forcing it to 5G will make much of a difference anyhow.
W1WKW

Post by W1WKW »

thanks for the answer, i was worried that my 2.4ghz @ 60 to 70 mbps was not good enough for wiresx but it seems to do just fine .