Radio ID Below 10000

Help with DMR issues
W0sky

Radio ID Below 10000

Post by W0sky »

Hello,

I am trying to get traffic to pass with a DMR ID below 10,000. We have a private ham network that connects to HBLink and would like to use DMR ID's in the 0-10000 range.

When a radio is keyed up with an ID Below 10,000, I get the message "Invalid Downlink Activate received from"

Has anybody else seen this and is there a reason why this is setup this way, and is there a workaround to allow traffic from DMR ID's below 10000?

Thanks
Skyler
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Radio ID Below 10000

Post by M1DNS »

First off ensure it is for use with ham radio. using ham ID's on ham frequencies.
If ur using this on a commercial network there is no support for this and, more importantly you risk the loss of pistar and bigger... the whole MMDVM project from the lawyers of the big companies envolved in DMR.

Neither Pistar, nor MMDVM are licensed for commercial DMR use.

To answer ur question...
You could use dmrgateway and its Tg rewrites ability.

Or.
https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main

support group for HBlink users.

Ps in mentioning above, you can prob. see we take this very seriously. The patent laws surround DMR are rather fragile and well protected. I believe we have been overlooked purly because we only cater to ham radio users, only licensed persons who operate on freq. that others cant use. A select band of people who can use this project.
if we find anyone who puts these projects at risk I will personally ensure that the whole digital ham community knows who is, or who has cost us the loss of our projects.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W0sky

Post by W0sky »

Thanks, as I stated this is ham radio not commercial.

This was a ham group that was using DMR ID’s below 10,000 and was scratching our head on why it wasn’t working. The corrective action was to just change the DMR ID to a ham ID.

It just got me down the rabbit hole of curiosity and there is something in the source code checking for 10,000 so was curious why that was in there. The DVMHost project would also work but since it was ham we wanted to stick to pistar
W0sky

Post by W0sky »

There’s a checker in the source code DMRAccessControl.CPP that checks if the number is <10,000 and if so it returns false. Just edit the line and recompile and it works fine. I have no idea why they would do this, or why 10,000 would be the magic number for commercial vs ham and what the reasoning is on restricting hams to being able to experiment in the first place.

So for anyone wanting a workaround, re-compiling source code works although annoying. There’s also another project out there called DVMProject that works but that project only supports p25 , dmr and NXDN. So you can’t run YSF and DStar alongside.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W0sky wrote:There’s a checker in the source code DMRAccessControl.CPP that checks if the number is <10,000 and if so it returns false. Just edit the line and recompile and it works fine. I have no idea why they would do this

Because Ham ID's follow global MCC allocations and there are none issued below that no.

For a while US hams were allocated ID's in the 11***** range, but thats stopped now and Radioid have reverted back to the usual 31***** allocations for new US ID's.

Sent via smoke signals using my SM-G935F

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.