High BER causing DTMF misreads

Help with YSF / Fusion issues
N6VL

Re: High BER causing DTMF misreads

Post by N6VL » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks to VK7HSE for the info about half deviation!

However, with my FT-70DR, I still can't get DTMF tones to decode on my Zumspot. There are FCS nodes I can't connect to using the WIRES-X commands because they aren't listed in the pi-star reflector list.

Any more ideas on how get DTMF tones working?

de Steve N6VL

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 pm

1/2 deviation, plus tuning the BER for the very best rate on voice RX, that makes my DTMF work most of the time (although the BER is still higher for DTMF), that plus a little tuning for the YSFTXLevel on the [Modem] section makes the room list work very reliably now.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

KC9QQC

Post by KC9QQC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 pm

Andy, how and where do you set the 1/2 deviation? I am using a FT2D.

VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

KC9QQC wrote:Andy, how and where do you set the 1/2 deviation? I am using a FT2D.
See page 132 of the user manual on how to set half-deviation on/off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 pm

In the end I gave up on DTMF and stick to WiresX commands, the only one I could never figure out was disconnect (hold "band" on the FT-2D for more than 1 sec in WiresX mode).

Now that I know that, and the paging/upper case issues are fixed up, and I can search for YSF/FCS based on Id or name - I just don't use DTMF any more - but that's me.

Next challenge - improve the YSF2DMR mode :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 pm

MW0MWZ wrote:In the end I gave up on DTMF and stick to WiresX commands, the only one I could never figure out was disconnect (hold "band" on the FT-2D for more than 1 sec in WiresX mode).

Now that I know that, and the paging/upper case issues are fixed up, and I can search for YSF/FCS based on Id or name - I just don't use DTMF any more - but that's me.

Next challenge - improve the YSF2DMR mode :)
Ultimately I ended up going the same way because trying to send the dtmf out in real time with my fat fingers usually meant that I pressed the wrong button! Yes I could setup dtmf presets but it was just easier to use the wires-X function.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kc3lyz

Post by kc3lyz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

I have this same problem on a fairly new FT2DR; my hotspot is a Jumbospot in Simplex mode, so I can't change the offsets on pi-star
The Wires-X button on repeaters misses a lot too, so it seems not just hotspots are affected. I'll try the half-deviation setting.