Pi-Star CW I.D.

General support for the Pi-Star System
w8tfi

Pi-Star CW I.D.

Post by w8tfi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:25 am

First off, a big thank you for all your hard work. I have got my hot spot up and running with little to no problems. but just up graded and now I see that there is a CW I.D., so the question is: how do we turn that function on. As for some of the other functions like the new paging thing, I will wait until I get a little smarter. On an other note, is there any documentation for the Pi-Star or will there be any in the future.
Again I can't thank you enough for all your hard work.
Brian
W8TFI

KE0FHS

Re: Pi-Star CW I.D.

Post by KE0FHS » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm

I see that there is a CW I.D., so the question is: how do we turn that function on.
I found this posted by Keith Page in the Pi-Star Users Support Forum on Facebook: "Expert page -> MMDVMHost -> CW ID tab -> change Enable value from 0 to 1 and apply changes." Note that in that discussion, it was also mentioned that only some modem boards support the feature, and you may need to update your board's firmware in order to use the feature.
On an other note, is there any documentation for the Pi-Star or will there be any in the future.
Craig, W1MSG, produces some great official videos about Pi-Star. You can find many of them in this forum in the W1MSG Video Tutorials section or on YouTube (search for W1MSG).

I've been keeping some unofficial personal notes about using Pi-Star that you might find helpful:
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):

w8tfi

Post by w8tfi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 am

Toshen,
Thank you for the reply, this information has been helpful. I did do an update/upgrade to my unit and I just didn't know how to turn it on. I have been to your web page and it was very helpful in getting me started with the Pi-Star so, Thank you for this information you posted.
God Bless and 73's
Brian
W8TFI

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

w8tfi wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 am
I did do an update/upgrade to my unit.
Note that a Pi-Star Update/Upgrade is different from a modem firmware update. I'm not really clear from your response that you did both. For more info about modem firmware updates, see: https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-f ... pdates.htm
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):

ct1dvm

Post by ct1dvm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Last edited by ct1dvm on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

w7efs

Post by w7efs » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am

/etc/mmdvmhost has a stanza that requires editing to enable cw id:

[CW Id]
Enable=0
Time=10

I would only Enable it with "1" if the 10 minute interval depended on traffic actually being passed within that "Time", otherwise it would be just another useless, annoying beacon to everyone monitoring the frequency.

ct1dvm

Post by ct1dvm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 am

Last edited by ct1dvm on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm

w7efs wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am
/etc/mmdvmhost has a stanza that requires editing to enable cw id:

[CW Id]
Enable=0
Time=10

I would only Enable it with "1" if the 10 minute interval depended on traffic actually being passed within that "Time", otherwise it would be just another useless, annoying beacon to everyone monitoring the frequency.
Who'd monitor the frequency with this short of range. Plus, you'd need the CWID to remain legal, as a hotspot is an amateur station and needs to ID to be legal.