OLED programming

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
kf5yme

OLED programming

Post by kf5yme »

Hello,

I'd like to poke around at the code for the OLED. (I'd like to have the display print more information while it is Idle instead of just the scrolling "Idle" or "MMDVM" text.)

Where can I learn more about how this piece of the project works and download the code for it?

73's
Wendel
KF5YME
EA3BIL

Re: OLED programming

Post by EA3BIL »

Hi,

MMDVM is NOT a text (althoug we humans do read it) but an bitmap IMAGE.

Several months ago, I managed to have it changed by manually editing the .img file on the proper bytes and I made it show my callsign...
Anyway doing it's a headache.

I hope you'll be more lucky than me on this task.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an
NA7RF

Post by NA7RF »

I know this is an old thread but I am new to Pi Star and thought I would see if anyone can reply.

Could someone share the steps they used to send messages/images to the OLED display? I have been all over the microSD card and can't seem to find how to do it without installing other packages. I am shy about installing other packages because the Pi Star works great on the less powerful Pi Zero.

It seems there should be an easy way to seen something to the screen, after all I see information about stations and I see "CLOSED" when the services are shutdown. One thing I am worried about is burn-in because OLED displays only have so much life. I would like to clear the CLOSED message when the Pi Star is shutdown -- mainly because my Pi Star is located in another part of my house and if I get distracted before powering it off after shutting down, the CLOSED message will remain on the screen.

Thanks for everyone's hard work in making such a great product!

Matt
NA7RF

Post by NA7RF »

Thank you.
AD4GC

Post by AD4GC »

EA3BIL wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 am I managed to have it changed by manually editing the .img file on the proper bytes and I made it show my callsign...
EA3BIL,

Would you care to tell me where you found the .img file? I would like to play around with changing the display to show my callsign, but I have searched until I have given out.

Thank you,
Greg
AD4GC
AD4GC

Post by AD4GC »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 pm It is not a .img file, its a data array in the source code.
Ok, where in the source code can it be found?
Like he said, its a headache.
I'm not afraid complicated computing, nor afraid to screw up and have to start over.
You would be better off just getting a Nextion, because you can easily do custom graphics or even just static text without having to recompile MMDVMHost.
My pi-star has the .96" OLED screen, can Nextion control that, or does it require a screen change?
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

AD4GC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:46 pm
EA3BIL wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 am I managed to have it changed by manually editing the .img file on the proper bytes and I made it show my callsign...
EA3BIL,

Would you care to tell me where you found the .img file? I would like to play around with changing the display to show my callsign, but I have searched until I have given out.

Thank you,
Greg
AD4GC

IMG file is within the ZIP file you can download from pistar.uk

YES, it's an IMG file.

NO, I have NOT played arround with SOURCE filesas I don't want to recompile.

HxD is a good idea to edit it, anyway BE CAREFULL as you may make it unusable at all.

Anyway...
As per my experience, any changes are overwritten on the very first update so,
Maybe you can add something at CRON to have all you mods redone after overnight updates (if any).

Good luck !!

Rafa.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 pm
A Nextion is an entirely different screen, but it is much easier for people to customize. They don't need to know any programming and can simply edit some graphics using MS Paint, or just use the Nextion Editor to add static text.
Is not as simple as MSPaint and some static text...

Yes, there are no "TONS" really needed to have a Nextion up and running, anyway...

If you want some "good looking", programming must be added to the Nextion.

You may just have a look to PD0DIB designs (Model 8 or Model 10) within GitHub, to see how does he deal to get the national FLAG showing on the screen taking advantage of Nextion Driver currently available within Pi-Star (I mean, no need to have it added as some versions ago...).

In fact, I did edit his HMI file to have it placed in my 2,4" T series screen on a Dual HS to have it also showing EA Regional flags, a "Parrot" when it's used and a funny drawing for myself.

Yep, it's not a "travel to Mars"... It's not "high programming skills", anyway, it isn't as "simple" as MSPaint and fixed texts. ;)
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

For a ONE TIME USE, I agree, it's that simple like that...
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an